PDA

View Full Version : Xtgree Gold 2.5 can't read one file on Disk 1

interalia
November 9th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Folks

I have obtained an original set of six 360K's with Xtree GOLD 2.5 on them. After trying four separate 360K drives I have managed to copy on to an HD all the files except for about about half of XTGOLD1.ZIP from diskette 1.

Has anybody a copy of this file they can email me? It's a tad over 200K in size.

Best Regards

Neil

Surrey, UK

interalia
November 10th, 2013, 04:28 AM
Apologies posted on in the wrong section. Re-posted to Vintage Software section

Neil

Robin4
November 10th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Maybe you can try a software called `badcopy`.. Maybe you can get that file from the disk somehow.

http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

evildragon
November 10th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Funny seeing a .zip file that far back. It was only a couple years old then.

Stone
November 10th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Funny seeing a .zip file that far back. It was only a couple years old then.How's that? Back then, 1990-1991, nearly everything on a BBS was in ZIP files. I have thousands of ZIPs from that era.

Chuck(G)
November 10th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Phil brought out PKZIP in 1989, IIRC. That was after SEA and PKWare got into a battle with SEA over PKARC. There were no innocent parties in that dust-up. In general, the community went with PKZIP--although there were some BBS that stayed with ARC, LHARC and ZOO.

I think I still have a copy of PKARC and PKXARC somewhere...

SpidersWeb
November 10th, 2013, 02:49 PM
I have XTree GOLD 2.5 boxed with 3.5 and 5.25 floppies.
My disk 1 was damaged as well, but I've been able to recreate it by copying the damaged file off the 3.5 disks.

I've backed up the disks already, so should be able to get the file to you later (I need to go home, rustle through files, upload it etc) unless someone else has it handy. It's nice using the original disks as well, many of the copied versions on the net are missing extensions and you get to set your registration name etc.

SpidersWeb
November 12th, 2013, 12:18 AM
XTGOLD1.ZIP (http://baudband.net/downloads/XTGOLD1.ZIP) (204KB)
I pulled the file from the 3.5" 720K Disk #1 and copied it direct. It's the same file you get on the 360KB Disk #1.
(NB for others, this is only 1 file, not the whole product)