PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro II drive latch popping off easily

rbgrn
November 10th, 2013, 12:21 AM
I just received a kaypro ii in the mail and overall am delighted that it is in working condition. No software was included but my floppy creation worked fine and I already had a good game of ladder. The only issue I see with it is that the a drive seems to have a worn out hinge for the lip that you handle to open and close the drive. When the drive is being closed with a disk in it, it likes to pop off, requiring clipping it back in and sometimes just holding the whole drive lever down by hand to have it read or write. Its plastic on plastic on that part so I am not surprised, but has anyone found a good fix short of gluing the piece in? It should be able to snap out but not so easily.

Thanks!

ldkraemer
November 10th, 2013, 04:13 AM
rbgrn,
On my Kaypro II, and on several older Tandon TM-100 Drives I have, I've replaced the two short (white) pins with a full length piece of
1/8" Brass Rod (Brazing Rod) from my local welding supply store. I took my Vernier Calipers and measured several Brazing Rods, to
locate two with the largest diameter, and have been using those to cut pieces.

That seemed to cure my drive latch problems. I don't think (or remember) using any type of loctite or glue on them after using the
Brass Rod for the pins.

Good Luck. (If I hadn't moved, and had all my Kaypro II stuff in several Boxes, I'd have cut two and sent them to you,
but it will be a long time before I'll run across them again. I've even got a couple new latches for the TM-100 somewhere,
but those also are lost for the time being, due to the move.)

Larry

Chuck(G)
November 10th, 2013, 08:20 AM
It's also possible that the piece holding the latch pins is cracked or damaged. I've managed to replace that with a piece of sheet brass and a short length of brass rod. Many hobby stores here have a display from K&M Metals that sells bits of aluminum, brass and steel sheet, tube and rod for the model-making crowd.