PDA

View Full Version : HP 1000 E-Series Minicomputer - Teardown and restoration

TerraHertz
November 13th, 2013, 08:00 PM
http://everist.org/NobLog/20131112_HP_1000_minicomputer_teardown.htm

I'm working through a HP 1000 E-series mini, Model: 2113E, cleaning it up and hoping to get it working.
Includes lots of photos.

Eventually, it will be for sale. (Probably, if I don't get too attached to it.)

BuggZ
November 19th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Great find and good luck with the restoration. I worked with these systems for many years in the USAF. They were used in some automated test stands. The system I worked on included Beehive terminals and HP 7905 Disk Drives interfaced to the HP-1000.

barythrin
November 19th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Pretty cool. I've seen a few of them for sale nearby for higher than desirable prices but always did wonder what they could do.

Chuck(G)
November 19th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Nice job so far--the unit looks to be in super-fine condition, considering its age.

Have fun!

NeXT
November 19th, 2013, 08:30 PM
The frame on that thing is incredible. Are there any welded parts at all?

Agent Orange
November 20th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Wonderful job! You get should get an A+.

mloewen
November 20th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Nice report! BTW - the jumper plug with the resistor goes on the Battery socket, to allow it to run with no battery attached.

TerraHertz
November 20th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Nice report! BTW - the jumper plug with the resistor goes on the Battery socket, to allow it to run with no battery attached.

Thanks, twice!
Btw I replied to questions in this thread yesterday, but 'moderation' has not yet given my post a pass. Are everyone's posts moderated, or only new members?

The forum FAQ here seems to be the unedited default. If it's only new members that get moderated, what post count do I need to reach for posts to appear immediately?

Edit: Huh. This one appeared immediately. So the answer is '5' apparently.
But if I now repost yesterday's post, the moderator will still approve the original one, so double post. I'll wait a couple of days, see what happens.
Key point - I'm still unable to find a PSU service manual/schematic for the 2113E. Anyone know where I might find that?

--------
Edit again, Friday 22nd.
What the??? Today I tried to reply, it fell into the 'your post will appear when approved by a moderator' hole again. So far my first reply to other's questions (posted days ago) still has not appeared. Then this post appeared immediately. Then my next one didn't. Is it just me or is something weird going on?
Sorry about breaking the thread order, but having posts seem to be delayed for days for no good reason and inconsistently, isn't acceptable. It's not like I'm spamming the forum with toothpaste adverts or something. So for now I'll reply in this visible post, that I can edit. Here are my two so-far-unappeared replies:
- - - -

Pretty cool. I've seen a few of them for sale nearby for higher than desirable prices but always did wonder what they could do.

I have to keep reminding myself this is supposed to be for sale (but I don't waaaant to...)

Nice job so far--the unit looks to be in super-fine condition, considering its age.

I do know a little about the machine's origin; for instance that it was run all its working life in an airlocked environment. Then tossed out in the weather to be scrapped. But I rescued it before it got rained on.

The frame on that thing is incredible. Are there any welded parts at all?

No, not even a single spotweld spotted.
Those diecast screw-together frames were standard on all Hewlett Packard equipment of that era. They're great, provided no one drops the instrument because then they snap.

- - - -

Have you tried the CE manual?
http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/hp/1000/5950-3767_M-E-F_CEhbk_Jul84.pdf

I have that file, but on first skim it only seemed to include the 2112A/2113A, then lastly something called the 21MX series B supply.
That one I'd ignored because the name was so different.
But now on closer examination the '21MX series B' supply described is apparently identical to the supply in my 2113E.

Mine is a PN 5061-6615, SN 2340. That pdf lists that PN as "complete new supply, terminal block version, SN 2305 & later."

Yay! But still no schematics, just I/O and adjustments.

The Bitsavers\1000_MEF_EngrRef file 92851-90001_Mar81_9.pdf has earlier PSU schematics, but definitely not any like the 2113E (21MX series B)

The HPmuseum.net guy mentioned in email that the 2113E is fairly common since it was manufactured for so long.
It seems odd that the supply for a (most?) common form hasn't had its circuit diagrams scanned by anyone yet.

mloewen
November 21st, 2013, 05:33 AM
Thanks, twice!

Key point - I'm still unable to find a PSU service manual/schematic for the 2113E. Anyone know where I might find that?

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/hp/1000/5950-3767_M-E-F_CEhbk_Jul84.pdf

TerraHertz
November 21st, 2013, 09:37 PM

I have that file, but on first skim it only seemed to include the 2112A/2113A, then lastly something called the 21MX series B supply.
That one I'd ignored because the name was so different.
But now on closer examination the '21MX series B' supply described is apparently identical to the supply in my 2113E.

Mine is a PN 5061-6615, SN 2340. That pdf lists that PN as "complete new supply, terminal block version, SN 2305 & later."

Yay! But still no schematics, just I/O and adjustments.

The Bitsavers\1000_MEF_EngrRef file 92851-90001_Mar81_9.pdf has earlier PSU schematics, but definitely not any like the 2113E (21MX series B)

The HPmuseum.net guy mentioned in email that the 2113E is fairly common since it was manufactured for so long.
It seems odd that the supply for a (most?) common form hasn't had its circuit diagrams scanned by anyone yet.

TerraHertz
November 25th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Update: Currently working on scanning the manuals I have. But need some advice on image post-processing methods.
See here: http://everist.org/archives/scans/query/image_processing_query.htm

I'll find a graphics forum to ask that too; just thought it might be worth mentioning here for interest.

I'm not too impressed with the utility of this forum. Loooong delays between posting and the post appearing in the thread, plus my 2nd post to this thread seems to have just vanished, and inconsistency of application of the moderation delay, plus non-response of moderator to a direct query about these issues...
Is it just me, or does everyone here have to deal with the same problems?

Qbus
November 26th, 2013, 12:20 PM
That old HP looks great; back about ten years ago had a HP-1000 but none of the internals to get it to do anything. Abandoned HP technology and went head long into Digital PDP-11 stuff and been happy with that. Too bad you’re on the other end of the world because I would be all over trying to buy that system or trade you a PDP-11 for it!
The Holy Grail for me now days is a reel to reel tape drive for one of my systems and don’t know why but tape drives for the old HP-1000 systems are way more available then anything that I can use on a PDP-11, just about everything for a HP-1000 is cheaper than its DEC counterpart. Good Luck.

TerraHertz
December 1st, 2013, 04:24 AM
Thanks Qbus. It's probably lucky I *am* at the other end of the round thing, otherwise mention of a PDP-11 would be causing me to have... stirrings.

Dammit, too many projects. Currently I'm on another one.

Aside from that, I hit an image processing problem with scans of the really nice manual I have for the HP-1000.
See http://everist.org/archives/scans/query/image_processing_query.htm
Everything I can find in the way of photoshop tutorials dealing with printed image screening is all about how to create screening from digital images, for offset printing.
Nothing at all about how to remove it from scans of printed images. So I'm still thinking about that one. There must be a way...

Meanwhile I discovered that the HP 1000 has user extensible microcode. Hmmm... for various reasons that's really interesting to me. So now I'm thinking maybe I'll want to keep the machine to play with for a lot longer than I thought.
Does anyone know whether there's anything out there in the way of cross compilers for the HP 1000 microcode?

At the moment I'm really cursing HP for their failure to put old technical information in public archives. Not for the absence of the schematic for the 2113E power supply (though that's annoying), but for this:
I've been accumulating bits to set up a HP 8180A/8182A data generator and data analyzer system. Part of this: http://everist.org/NobLog/20131122_an_actual_knob.htm
Thought by now I had all the units, op/prog manuals and full service manuals I needed.
Just this evening discovered that the 'service manuals' I have, which are big fat things full of many fold-out schematics so you'd *expect* them to be complete, omit several key system boards, because... quote "This board is on the Blue Stripe exchange program, therefore no theory of operation or troubleshooting information is given."

Terrific. Thank you very much HP. I'm starting to think you *deserved* Carly.

Now... will this post appear immediately, or be held up for days till approved by a mod, or will it just vanish into a black hole? Do all members suffer such a delay, or just nubes like me? And if so what is the threshold? Where is this documented, and why don't the forum mods respond to direct questions?
Well at least I know to keep a local copy.

tingo
December 3rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
The toolchain I use makes use of the unpaper (http://unpaper.berlios.de/) tool for deskewing.

TraderJim650
June 19th, 2017, 04:20 PM
If you have questions about the HP 1000, I was a member of the design team. I designed all the memory systems, memory controller, and memory array cards, both the Fast memory controller and the ECC version, and I was part of the three man team that brought up the CPU and got it into production. Feel free to contact me.

http://everist.org/NobLog/20131112_HP_1000_minicomputer_teardown.htm

I'm working through a HP 1000 E-series mini, Model: 2113E, cleaning it up and hoping to get it working.
Includes lots of photos.

Eventually, it will be for sale. (Probably, if I don't get too attached to it.)