PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro 4/83 and Advent TurboROM

jaquinn
November 17th, 2013, 12:37 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Advent TurboROM on a Kaypro 4/83 (not 4/84)?

The 4/83 has a 2732 EPROM (4K) as standard so only half the size of the 4/84. The ROM files I have been for the TurboROM are 8K.

I can modify the machine to accept an 8K EPROM but before I go down that track I was hoping to determine:

- Is the 8K TurboROM compatible with the 4/83? One big change between the 4/83 and 4/84 appears to be the addition of a 6845 video controller in the 4/84. If the 8K TurboROM expects this then it probably wouldn't work with the 4/83.

- Is there actually a 4K version around somewhere? I have seen suggestions that it exists but never seen a copy.

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Andrew

Frank S
November 21st, 2013, 02:11 AM
No one have infos?
I am also interested in the Advent TurboRom 83.

Frank

GADFRAN
November 22nd, 2013, 02:00 PM
You may want to search this site - we have developed an extenisve knowledge base on Kaypros including some info on Advent - I used them on some of my 1983's and all was fine - do not know much about 1984's only had one [1] K IV of six have. I believe an organization may still provide them and even some info / service.

Good luck ! Please continue to supply your info to the knowledge base !

Frank

jaquinn
November 23rd, 2013, 10:39 PM
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the feedback. Frank S and I have been working to validate the FreHD hard disk emulator with the Kaypro. Good progress on the 4/84 with the Advent TurboROM but we want to validate it on my 4/83 also. (Unfortunately finding a 4/84 is not so easy..... Kaypro are not very common in New Zealand so I am stuck with the 4/83).

To date our searching for the TurboROM for the 83 machines has been unsuccessful. The available ROM's on the internet are the 84 version (8k). I have seen several requests for it on different sites but no ROM unfortunately and no "hey look what I discovered" posts.

After reading the TurboROM notes in this really good overview document (ftp://ftp.barnyard.co.uk/cpm/walnut-creek-CDROM/KAYPRO/TURBOROM.DOC) and some work with a disassembler on the '84 ROM I have confirmed that it is specific to the machines with the 6845 video controller so modifying the 4/83 to use an 8K rom isn't enough.

We will keep hunting.

Regards

Andrew

GADFRAN
November 25th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Great !

You must know Tezza of your area - New Zealand - if not - check him out - he is your local expert !

Please keep us informed so our Kaypro knowledge base keeps increasing !

All best always in all you do - do you celebrate Thanksgiving downunder ?

If you do not know - we send holiday greetings starting from your end across the world ending in Europe ! Participate if you can - a real hoot !

Frank

Frank S
December 3rd, 2013, 11:36 AM
Hello Kaypro users,
no body has the Advent TurboRom 3.4 for the Kaypro II or 4/83?
Frank

Frank S
December 9th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Push to top.
Still looking for the EPROM data.
Frank

Frank S
December 26th, 2013, 09:27 AM
We are very near the end of testing the FreHD firmware for the Kaypro.
At the moment it runs on Kaypro 4/84 with the Advent TurboRom 3.4 and the KayPlus ROM.
Also the Kaypro 4/83 runs with the KayPlus ROM.
Only missing on testing is the 4/83 with the Advent TurboRom 83.
Kaypro user please look at your Kaypro stuff.
Somewhere in the world must be an Kaypro 83 with an Advent TurboRom 83.:D
Frank