PDA

View Full Version : The Wang badged PS/2 8595

amadama
November 18th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Hi guys,
Thought I'd share a pic of one of my bizarre PS/2 machines.
This is an IBM PS/2 model 8595 re-badged and resold by Wang Labs.
It's a Pentium 60Mhz with 64MB of RAM. It has Windows NT 4.0 SP3 but it has some boot issues that cause it to blue screen. Most likely due to a misconfiguration of one of the NICs on it. Need to spend some time on this guy.

NeXT
November 18th, 2013, 06:53 PM
WAAAAAAAT??
That's awesome. Is the branding also in the ROM?

Compgeke
November 18th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I wasn't aware of any rebadged PS/2s, less yet by Wang.

Was this here part of some specialized hardware originally or was it a plain off the shelf product? Either way it's quite awesome.

Chuck(G)
November 18th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Yup, Wang did some desperate things in their last years.

Moral: Never leave your kid in control of your pride and joy.

amadama
November 19th, 2013, 11:09 AM
There is no other Wang branding other than the small badge on the front. The rest of the machine has all the IBM branding.

Chuck(G)
November 19th, 2013, 11:27 AM
I traded away a Wang-branded PS/2 keyboard not long ago. Identical mechanically and electrically with the IBM-branded one, just with a Wang emblem.

PeterNC
November 19th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Awesome! :-) That is a really cool machine. Does your MCA SB work in it? :D

RWallmow
November 20th, 2013, 08:41 AM
That's cools as heck!!

I wasn't aware of any rebadged PS/2s, less yet by Wang.
Don't forget the General Electric rebadge of the PS/2 P70 portable, so the Wang isn't the only one, but its sure a rare bird.

EDIT: Here is one of UXWBILL's videos on the GE P70 rebadge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5EzASjesm0)

amadama
November 24th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Awesome! :-) That is a really cool machine. Does your MCA SB work in it? :D

Ha! Haven't put the SB in it yet. I'm thinking of putting it in my model 70 when I get that one squared away (needs new battery).

PeterNC
November 25th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Always fun to try it out! :D

Beerhunter
December 3rd, 2013, 12:29 AM
I was part of the team (I was the Technical Manager) that implemented the IBM /Wang deal in EMEA.

The re-badged PS/2s are exactly that - re-badged. Nothing else was done to them. For EMEA we built the base machines in Greenock, Scotland. From there they were sent to Wang's Limerick plant in Ireland for configuration and onward shipping to customers.

Wang ran a successful business for a few years reselling IBM kit (including RS/6000 and AS/400 as well as PS/2s) allowing Wang the breathing space (in spite of a bankruptcy) to transform into a service organisation which was later sold.

PeterNC
December 3rd, 2013, 04:21 AM
Interesting. IBM was/is the Rolls Royce of personal computing so that made sense. :D

amadama
December 7th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Beerhunter, great to hear from someone that actually was involved in this! What other specific systems did Wang resell under their brand and do you recall the time frame they did so?
There isn't much information online about the period in Wang history.