PDA

View Full Version : Pc10-ii psu

falter
November 20th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I don't know if this belongs in Commodore or PC Clones, since it is a PC clone. I got a PC10-II off ebay for $20. Actually is in really good shape.. the insides are near mint. I fired it up, had to do some DIP switch settings on the video card to get it to work with my monitor, worked like a hot damn for 30 min and then I heard crackling, pop! And a nice stink. The machine kept running but I cut it off to protect it from damage.

I'm wondering what 'type' of PSU these commodore clones used -- the connector doesn't look like anything I've seen before. I've tried a few searches on part numbers but came up dry. I'm wondering if it's possible to adapt a standard AT PSU to one of these somehow, although it would be nice to keep it stock.

geoffm3
November 21st, 2013, 06:55 AM
I don't know if this belongs in Commodore or PC Clones, since it is a PC clone. I got a PC10-II off ebay for $20. Actually is in really good shape.. the insides are near mint. I fired it up, had to do some DIP switch settings on the video card to get it to work with my monitor, worked like a hot damn for 30 min and then I heard crackling, pop! And a nice stink. The machine kept running but I cut it off to protect it from damage.

I'm wondering what 'type' of PSU these commodore clones used -- the connector doesn't look like anything I've seen before. I've tried a few searches on part numbers but came up dry. I'm wondering if it's possible to adapt a standard AT PSU to one of these somehow, although it would be nice to keep it stock.

There's usually a bunch of electrolytic caps in PC power supplies. Have you pulled it apart to see what smoked? It might be repairable, or if you don't care about the authenticity you can probably transplant the guts from an AT style power supply into the old PS housing.

archeocomp
November 21st, 2013, 10:13 AM
As it is still working, I assume filter MKT capacitor at the very input has blown up. This is actually not harmful. The same happened to my CBM PC10-III PSU. I bought new capacitors and replaced all filter MKTs and it works since that like a charm.

SpidersWeb
November 21st, 2013, 04:49 PM
As it is still working, I assume filter MKT capacitor at the very input has blown up. This is actually not harmful. The same happened to my CBM PC10-III PSU. I bought new capacitors and replaced all filter MKTs and it works since that like a charm.

This. Likely the input filter caps, open to check.
No matter what it is, since it kept running, the solution will most likely be to replace (or potentially ignore depending on what it is) the component rather than the board.

When all goes downhill, you can use AT and ATX power supply boards in most vintage PCs with a bit of retrofitting since they all used common voltages like +5V +12V -12V GND.
I wouldn't do that just for a bad cap though, I at least reserve that for when I can't see any failures, from your description the dead part probably looks like an exploded volcano :D

modem7
November 21st, 2013, 08:39 PM
The OP has a related thread [here (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?40076-Commodore-PC10-III-video&p=302712#post302712)].