PDA

View Full Version : Compaqs Demise

Micom 2000
August 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM
The "Compaq class action" site has some good info on how the large computer companies function. There's a great "Compaq Manifesto" by Compaq techs which lays out
some of the reasons most of us don't use the supposed "support" sites. Strangely enough, the Big Blue(IBM) site was one of the few I was ever comfortable with.

http://users.aol.com/cclass450/page200.html

Lawrence :RB (religious bigot), Hrc (Heretic), INF (Infidel)

Terry Yager
August 12th, 2006, 04:25 PM
I always loved the pre-H/P Compaq site. Although it was difficult to navigate, it was one of the most complete on daNet, with support for even thier very earliest of machines. (They still have an FTP site, but I can never remember the URL).

--T

Micom 2000
August 12th, 2006, 04:38 PM
True to some extent, but you need a translation list to figure out what the CPQ update files are for. When you have a bunch of them like I do, you have to consult that before using them.

Lawrence W: RB, Hrc, INF.

Terry Yager
August 12th, 2006, 04:46 PM
'Searching thier site' consisted of d/l-ing the (huge) 'ALLFILES.TXT' and going thru it to determine which softpaqs you needed. Kinda a pita, but usually productive.

--T

rmay635703
August 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Try to even get Paid support on an HP Vidjet Pro once, they can't even remember making it and that was 6yrs ago. (it really isn't THAT old)

Its too bad I can't get the darn thing to mirror, it is a really neat little $2500 device