PDA

View Full Version : Gigantic disk.

Luke
August 13th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Guy is trying to sell this strange disk for few weeks with no results.

http://allegro.pl/item118726538_super_zabytek_dysk_ibm_wspanialy_na_ reklame_.html

It's really big!

Where were disks like that used? In big mainframes from early '70?

He want for that 200$... I wouldn't pay 25$ for that...

atari2600a
August 13th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Strange! Looks like '50's-'60's mainframe hard disk to me, I'm probably wrong though...

dreddnott
August 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM
That looks like around a 14" platter...

I'm impressed with how reflective the platter surface is.

The pair of old Morrow Designs Thinker Toys 14" drives (actually Shugart if you pop 'em open) I ran across aren't nearly as reflective. They're also belt-driven, like the mystery IBM drive in the picture.

Does he know the capacity? That could date the drive.

phe
August 13th, 2006, 03:07 PM
I can't get the pictures to load. The webpage loads fast enough but the pictures don't load at all. Can someone post a picture so I can see what you are talking about?

atari2600a
August 13th, 2006, 03:28 PM
You should be prompted to either save or open a file w/ no extention. open it with a web browser or a photo-viewing program. More preferably "Windows Picture & Fax Viewer"...

rmay635703
August 14th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I had access to a free "glass" cased hard drive labeled and had a little connector that looked like scsi 6yrs ago, turned on end it stood 4ft tall, you could see all the many platters inside. If I weren't an ideot I would have gotten a couple friends to help me load it. At the time I didn't pay much attention to it or to its model number (didn't notice one) It was laying around with some old 8'x6' mainframe enclosures that were being scrapped. I should have paid more attention I guess

phe
August 14th, 2006, 04:19 PM
The drive looks, to me, like it is from an IBM System/34 or System/36.