PDA

View Full Version : Identifying 300GL

FractalFX
November 29th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hey guys!

I'm about to purchase a IBM 300GL computer, but I'm not sure what processor it has.
The seller has no idea (he is in fact selling it for 9 including a monitor and KB/mouse so I guess he doesn't even care) what processor the computer has. The description says "ibm 300 gl pentium mmx processor celeron 266 mhz 256 mb ram" so I don't know if it is a Pentium MMX or a Celeron.

Here is a picture of the computer:
http://gyazo.com/9bf35bb861d752e925c5df559ce6ae55.png

There is also a picture of the computer running Windows 7, so my guess is that it is a Celeron?

Also it says that it's got a Cirrus Logic GPU, a Creative sound card, USB and RJ45.

I'm really no expert in computers from before 2006, so I really don't know which processor it has. :ashamed2:
(Even though I don't think a MMX can handle USB and Win7...?)

Cheers and thanks.

Caluser2000
November 29th, 2013, 11:05 AM
There should be a model no. on a sticker recessed on the front somewhere IIRC.

orion24
November 29th, 2013, 06:19 PM
There is also a picture of the computer running Windows 7, so my guess is that it is a Celeron?

???
Windows 7 minimum requirements are well above what this system has, in terms of CPU, GPU, RAM and even storage size. It might still run in a way, in theory, but it is very weird.
BTW, it looks like a Celeron 266. Otherwise, it wouldn't say that. Pentium and MMX became more general names and the Celeron does support MMX.

NeXT
November 29th, 2013, 06:30 PM
The Celeron 266 existed however it was no speed demon, nor was it ever really a good chip.

krebizfan
November 29th, 2013, 08:16 PM
The 300GL covers a wide range of machines with CPUs ranging from Pentium (no suffix 133MHz) to Pentium III. If you can find the exact submodel number, printed on the back, Lenovo will likely have the matching manual in PDF on their website. They were nice if unremarkable systems.

The Celeron 266 was a Pentium II without any cache making it perform like a 150MHz Pentium. If this computer truly has that, see if you can find a free Pentium II to substitute which would double the performance. I don't see any reference to IBM shipping 300GL with the 266MHz Celeron but I am not spending much time searching.

The very last models would be a bit memory constrained to run Win 7 having only 512MB capacity. Earlier models would barely work with Win XP. Most likely it only has USB 1.1 (the very slow early version) fast enough for keyboards, mice and Zip drives but too slow for external hard drives.

orion24
November 29th, 2013, 09:28 PM
The Celeron 266 was a Pentium II without any cache making it perform like a 150MHz Pentium

I don't think it will be that slow. The performance should be on par with similarly clocked Pentium-MMX. The early Celeron lacked the L2 cache of the P-II, but it is not clock-4-clock slower than the plain Pentium-MMX that didn't have L2 cache either. Of course the Celeron boards had no on-board L2 cache, expecting the CPU to be responsible for it, while the early Pentium boards did, though this won't change much in practice.

Stone
November 30th, 2013, 03:36 AM
I've got a couple of Pentium IIs if there's any interest in them...

1) Pentium II SL2HA 300MHz

2) Pentium II SL2U3 350MHZ

Also a III...

1) Pentium III SL365 500MHZ

and a IV...

1) Pentium IV SL7PR 2.88GHZ/1M/800

PeterNC
December 2nd, 2013, 11:11 AM
For EUR 9 I would just buy it and find out what it is. Unless there is a lot of shipping of course. Otherwise ask the seller to open it up and you can take a picture.

What is your location anyway?

MikeS
December 2nd, 2013, 07:27 PM
http://www.lenovo.com/psref/psrefs_withdrawn.html

(dwbook, commercial desktops, 5th from the bottom)

EverythingIBM
December 16th, 2013, 10:14 PM
That's either a pentium 2 or pentium 3 slotted 300GL.

Pentium 1 MMX 300GLs came in different cases (the chassis shell is metal with only the front bezel being plastic) and featured a giant passive heatsink. As well as a spot for an optional fan-- but mostly obscured by the giant COAST chip which IBM engineered right in front!
IBM humorously misspelled VESA Feature to VESA future on the internal diagram underneath the lid.
Really it's an hilarious machine-- plagued with rather low quality capacitors for some reason...

PC 300GL and 300PL both share that case. However, the only Pentium 1s sharing that case are system type 6562, and they are characterized with having front audio jacks and a volume knob:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Ibm300pl.jpg

So basically any computers with that case [lacking the front panel audio] marked 300PL or 300GL are slotters.

I'd stay away from those systems to be honest. The fan noise is variable depending on how hot the slotter CPU gets.

If you can find a 6562 however, you'll own one of the best Pentium 1 systems ever made (and unlike the Pentium 300GLs, they have rubycon caps). The tower variant is 6592 and features front panel audio, as well as a few more ISA slots.

One downside to 6562/6592 is that they can only cache up to 64 MB. I boosted them to 384 MB of RAM, and saw a performance hit immediately. Now I'm left with loads of 128 MB EDO DIMMs hahaha.

EDIT:

What the heck, I may as well mention that the first IntelliStation series also recycled the PC 300 cases:
http://img17.tablica.pl/images_tablicapl/88183763_2_644x461_ibm-intellistation-e-pro-dodaj-zdjecia.jpg

Technically you could get an intellistation E Pro, and then swap in the audio panel from the 300PL pentium 1, and then make yourself a "black" PC 300. IBM also made a black variant of the G70 monitor which would pair it nicely:
http://kenfager.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/random/2007/ibmmonitor.jpg

But, I like my 300PL beige :)
I've since did some mods to it as well.