PDA

View Full Version : HP 9000 Model 827s Server help

marcoguy
December 5th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Hi all, although I've recently has some major setbacks in life, I've had some good fortune with vintage computers lately. I'm friends with the tech guy at a local company, and they recently retired the server that they had gotten second-hand and had been running their network for 12 years. He said that I could have it if I wanted it, so I've now got the heavy bugger in my house. I see some really great hardware in there for 1992, as it was a very high-end server in its day. There's 128 mb of RAM installed in 32MB modules, with enough empty sockets to double that. There's also a FH 5.25" SCSI HD and a smaller 3.5" one, and a tape drive. In the back its got a 802.3 LAN adapter (AUI/BNC), an SCSI port, a parallel port, and a strange port that I don't recognize. Now here's my question: What type of terminal or computer do I hook into this machine to get any kind of video output? I assume it's got HP-UX or some older flavor of Linux on the hard drives and I'd like to gain access to it and see what's on there. I'm mainly a PC guy so I don't have much experience with this sort of thing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

paul
December 5th, 2013, 07:14 PM
This (http://www.hpmuseum.net/document.php?hwfile=3246) doc seems to explain it. I'm assuming you can use a PC with a terminal program and null-modem cable. It will be easier to log in if your friend provides the root password.

The serial settings seem to be 9600 7 S 1 instead of the usual 9600 8 N 1.

marcoguy
December 13th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the help, I was able to purchase the ADP unit on Ebay, which connects to the main box and supplies 7 serial ports for terminal connection, however I'm now presented with a new issue, what type of cabling would I use to connect a terminal? I've tried a null modem cable and it doesn't work with my WYSE 325 terminal or any of my computers with a terminal emulator.

paul
December 13th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Although correct for a PC-based terminal emulator, I'm not entirely sure that a null-modem cable is correct for a dedicated terminal, try a straight one.

marcoguy
December 14th, 2013, 08:29 AM
I tried a straight cable, nothing...

Juror22
December 25th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I have a few HP 360 workstations and the consoles on those use HPTerm (there may be a way to set them up for a simple vt from the console, but I don't recall doing it). I have had the best luck, using an HP secure web console (either with a serial cable or the HP web console cable). The secure web console provides HP and VT console terminals and allows me to access the console from a web page on my main computer. There are definite advantages to using the HP console (F-keys) and sam works better that way. I used an HP 800 at work a long time ago and I'm pretty sure that we used hardware HP terminals via the serial connection for the console on those. I can play around a bit and see what connects on the 360's (should be basically the same) and get back to you here.

Edit - I checked my connection via the Secure Web Console and using a straight through serial cable and (9600, NONE, 8 - could be different for the 8xx series) and vt100 terminal type, I get connected to the boot screen. I am still looking for any configuration info that I have for the 8xx's I used to manage.