PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

Caluser2000
December 5th, 2013, 08:28 PM
The IBM Aptiva arrived at work the other day and I finally got it home. By the auction original description I suspected it may have an I-1 board. Turns out it is a later system with the type I-2 mobo. machine- model Model 2144-Z27.This being the case the cpu, vram and ram are able to be upgraded. Also has shared isa/pci expansion slots. Like any IBM documentation is readily available.

The seller tossed in one of the last ISA SB cards and a PCI MATROX vidio card. Not too bad for $10 plus shipping. It also gives me an excuse to toss some of my older early Socket 7 board.

Came with Aptiva Windows 95 restore cd and a generic burned copy of windows 95. Kinda wishing the restore CD was OS/2 but you can't win them all eh?

vwestlife
December 6th, 2013, 04:23 AM
While you're at it, check to see if it still has Cassette BASIC in ROM. I know at least some of the Aptivas did.

Jack.
December 6th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Wow, that's nice!
I hope IBMs here were as cheap as in the USA :(
The cheapest i've found so far is an AS/400 @ 30€ - Wanna get it as soon as i can!

Caluser2000
December 6th, 2013, 09:10 AM
I'm in New Zealand.

Fired the thing up this morning and there was a funky screen display. Looks like faulty vram. Was fine last night. Even upped the Win95 screen resolution. It's good that it's got a spare few expansion slots, so not a show stopper. Nice having 3 x 32 meg 73 pin simms. If I get tired of the machine it they'll come in useful elsewhere.

Looks kawl match up to the P70 18" CRT screen. I intend not to become an IBM fan boy, honest.

Jack.
December 6th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Oh, sorry, my fault.

Sounds like a good match.

What OS are you using on it?

Caluser2000
December 6th, 2013, 12:12 PM
It's got the default IBM Branded Windows 95 on it at the moment as the PO used it for dos gaming. I'll probably throw in the 4.3 gig hdd with my old OS/2 v4 installation. That has Xworkplace Shell, the Scitech display driver and NE2000 nic drivers all set. I just need to throw the ISA nic in and it's all good to go.

The current hdd that is in it is LOUD and clunky as anything. In fact its the loudest one I've come across so far.

Caluser2000
December 6th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Seems like the bios doesn't like the 4 gig drive for some reason. Certainly not jumper related. I also noted there was another drive under the one with win95 on it. Turns out that is as dead as a dead thing, not a peep whir or clunk, so have pulled that out. It will make a good paper weight. Damned if I can find the coast cache stick I pulled from a dead PB system a few months back.

At the moment the machine is scattered all over the bedroom. Despite that the mutt has found a place to curl up and nap.

Edit 1: Found the coast stick, in fact two. One from a Compaq and one from the PB. Neither were picked up by the system and no amount of jumper moving did any good.

EDit 2; Found some bios updates http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/eprm/eprxa/63029.htm

Jack.
December 8th, 2013, 01:39 AM
OS/2 sounds like a good idea, i'd put it too on a similar machine.
What kind of HDD is the loud thing? I'd love to get one!
That sounds weird, 4gig is not so big for that time...

Jorg
December 8th, 2013, 02:10 AM

I'd put my card on Maxtor

Caluser2000
December 8th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I'd put my card on MaxtorBizzzzzzzzzzz! No cigar. It's a Quantun 1.2 gig 3.5" thing.

Caluser2000
December 8th, 2013, 08:56 AM
OS/2 sounds like a good idea, i'd put it too on a similar machine.
That sounds weird, 4gig is not so big for that time...I would've thought it would've been pick up no worries but the Bios reports it as a 30meg drive. Turns out I've got a 2 gig lying around if needed. Most systems made 1995 and most machines around then shipped with 500meg through to 2 gig drives IIRC and the manual reflects this range. I found some bios updates that might improve things.

There was a bit of controversy when the Aptiva range was released so it's not surprising things aren't what you'd expect from a system from the likes of Dell.

One thing that is an improvement over the earlier PS/1 system is the flip down cover. I know these are not to everyones liking but the one on this system is made much sturdier. It'd be interesting to see if the PS/1 486 mobo I have and psu slip into this without modification.

vwestlife
December 9th, 2013, 06:56 AM
One thing that is an improvement over the earlier PS/1 system is the flip down cover. I know these are not to everyones liking but the one on this system is made much sturdier. It'd be interesting to see if the PS/1 486 mobo I have and psu slip into this without modification.

The later PS/1 models such as the "Consultant" also had a flip-down door over the floppy drives:

http://vipersniper.dnsalias.com/fleet/images/ps1.jpg

I think IBM wanted to get away from the PS/1 name because it had gained a bad reputation due to the early PS/1 models which were limited in their capabilities and expensive and difficult to expand, requiring highly proprietary parts.

Caluser2000
December 9th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Almost bought an early PS/1 286 back in the day but glad I went the generic clone route. Of course the Quad Screen systems are a bit of a curiosity now and it's nice to see folk putting some effort in keeping them running.

Caluser2000
December 10th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I love IBM.Here's something to drawl over then ;)

Caluser2000
December 14th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Turns out the HDD has a few bad sectors. Windows tossed a paddy when I altered the video. Continous reboot when trying to detect the video card. Tried Safe Mode but still had no joy and eventually gave up. Even a reformat/restore was iffy. I installed OS/2 Advanced Server for ##$ts and jiggles.

Caluser2000
December 15th, 2013, 09:07 AM
I installed the whole kit and caboodle because I could. For those that haven't dealt with OS/2 before, Advance Server is just OS/2 v3 Warp with some network server add-on bits 'n bobs. It also introduces HPFS386 which you can read all about at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Performance_File_System My copy AS came with an assortment of promotional material including a couple of slides. Also included a wee note from an IBM rep at the time.

It is easy enough to put this driver a disk and transfer to my other v3 box to get around the standard HPFS driver limitations. Just copy it to a directory of your choice and put an IFS= entry pointing to the driver early up in the config.sys file.

Caluser2000
December 21st, 2013, 09:58 AM
Tried to get a better screen res than the standard vga. First tried a S3 Virge/DX card-found the drivers ok but OS/2 kept defaulting to vga. It also ask for disk two when installing the driver off floppies with no option to point to the cdrom.The SiS card managed to install the drivers ok an select a decent resolution but now I'm getting a trap error. Selecting v or x to reset to vga or initial setup isn't working so will have to boot to the command prompt to get it back to vga. Bios detects the correct amount of memory when I swap cards. Tried another card with the same chip set but no cigar.

Procedures for switching back to vga in Warp V3 link - http://service5.boulder.ibm.com/pspsdocs.nsf/8d77653332b629ab862563cc005ee09a/7b2ff54d11a28317852561ac007734ad?OpenDocument

I suspect not all is well with this beast at all. The fact that it hiccups with Win95 and OS/2 seems to to comfirm this. I can understand why there was a class action law suite ;) Got a copy of RedHat 6.0 so might give that shot just out of interest.

Caluser2000
December 21st, 2013, 11:44 AM
Didn't need to go to CLI in the end. Out of curiousity I selected"'M" for maintenance desktop. This starts OS/2 in graphical mode automaticaly selecting Selective Install which is where you set up video, printers, cdroms etc. That managed to set video back to vga. Equivalent to Windows 9x "Safe Mode" I guess.

Restarted, then ran the SiS6326 setup program again. The SiS software puts a nice icon on the desktop so you can select another res. Tested a a few resolutions(you have to reboot each time) and settled on 1024 x 768 @ 65536 75Mhz non-interlaced. Works fine with my 17" LCD screen without looking too small. I've set the desktop archive function to on to save to current desktop state.

Having a P100 running Warp v3 is quite an improvement over my 486DX2/66. No dought all that extra ram and pci bus video card helps. It'd be a shame to relegate such blistering fast machine to just run real mode dos.

Caluser2000
February 5th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Having nothing better to do I've been having a dig around the Net looking at other period x86 32 bit OSs to try out on this beasty I came across a package put together by a European chap that gave NT 3.51 some extra goodies from later NT Windows variants. I'm curious to know if anyone else has given it a shot? Another bit of wishful thinking is rudimentary usb support for mass storage. I've had reasonable success with NT4 in the past but never attempted to go that one step back down the NT ladder.

EverythingIBM
February 10th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Like any IBM documentation is readily available.

Actually Lenovo recently pulled all of the documentation for the PC 300PL (pentium 1) series of machines from their support portal. Searching 6562-34U yields nothing. I don't think anyone bothered to document the manuals or drivers either. Of course I downloaded all of it (sans OS/2 stuff which I wish I did).
I even talked to a Lenovo rep about this and they confirmed that they ditched all of that legacy stuff.

So as it stands, I'm probably one of the very few people with some PC 300 drivers and support docs.

Also-- I can't seem to find any software for the 701C thinkpads on the internet. Luckily the seller I purchased the 701C stuff from had the very important diskettes and driver disc. *phew*
The only thing I'm missing is the latest BIOS for the 701Cs. May have to see if I can extract a BIOS image with a tool or something from one of them that has the latest rev.