PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning PC refresher

falter
December 7th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Hey guys,

I was looking through the old threads here for tips on how to clean this PET 4016 motherboard I have. I can definitely see lots of evidence of corrosion/dirt. Not *that* bad, but probably enough to cause grief.

I am hoping to try a cleaning before I get into socket replacement, etc. My skills may not yet be up to that task, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.

I read one thread that mentioned using Simple Green and water... is that sort of solution effective against corrosion/dirt in the sockets?

I've heard of the dishwasher method too but am a little more leery of that.

Chuck(G)
December 7th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I generally don't use water on any of this stuff unless dirt is caked and hardened and can't be removed any other way. Water is really terrible for getting into spots and be nearly impossible to remove--and it's a catalyst for corrosion. Try some De-ox-it on the socket contacts.

falter
December 7th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I generally don't use water on any of this stuff unless dirt is caked and hardened and can't be removed any other way. Water is really terrible for getting into spots and be nearly impossible to remove--and it's a catalyst for corrosion. Try some De-ox-it on the socket contacts.

Yeah I did some phoning around but nobody near me carries that stuff or anything like it. I've heard brake/drum cleaner does essentially the same task.. ever heard that?

Otherwise I'll have to order some of that stuff from somewhere.

Chuck(G)
December 7th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Brake cleaner can be a bit hard on plastics.

Check your local auto supply place. They should have some of this stuff:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y5lTaQJfL._SY300_.jpg