PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this keyboard was used for?

falter
December 9th, 2013, 05:46 PM
I bought this keyboard from ebay years ago, thinking it'd be nifty for a home built computer. But I'm curious now.. I can't find anything on it.. in terms of how old it is or what applications it might have been used in. Anyone know?

Also, while I'm on the subject.. I just watched an auction on ebay where an Apple II+ keyboard went for $200 (?!?!). Is there something I'm missing here? Are they that hard to find? Or is there excess demand due to people building Apple I replicas, needing something somewhat authentic?

SomeGuy
December 9th, 2013, 06:47 PM
That looks like a beige TI-99/4A keyboard. Radio Shack used to sell those keyboards (also TI-99/4A power boards) individually for hobbyists. And those things were everywhere. TI must have had lots of extra parts.

And seriously, what does give with the Apple II+ keyboards!? My guess is that there are people who want to rejuvenate their old, well used, Apple IIs and those would be a common part to wear out.

About 4 or 5 years ago I found the badly corroded, smashed, remains of an Apple II+ keyboard I had stored in a shed a long, long time ago and forgotten about. After seeing some of the auctions on eBay, I am wishing I had at least hosed it off and tried to salvage and sell the keycaps! But as it was, I didn't want to touch it, (I may have mentioned something about some stored boxes of cereal before...) and just tossed it! :(

So nobody makes clone Apple II+ keyboards?

vwestlife
December 9th, 2013, 08:16 PM
So nobody makes clone Apple II+ keyboards?

Some of the unlicensed Apple II clones copied the II+ keyboard verbatim, but most improved on it by adding support for lowercase letters, a backspace key, 4-direction arrow keys, a numeric keypad, etc. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there were kits to retrofit one of those improved keyboards into a II+ (which would require cutting a larger hole in the case -- heresy by the standards of today's collectors!).

showcase
December 17th, 2013, 02:42 AM
May be this key board is used for tablet or any other device. I am not sure about this.