PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Computing

k2x4b524[
December 11th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I have formally decided to 95% get out of the vintage computing world. My reasons for this include, school *takes up 85% of my available time anyway*, job search *through my college's IT department head*, a partial lack of interest, and a lack of work space due to my course work. My wife is also rather depressed right now due to losing the tips of her left fingers, down to the first knuckle, and is taking it VERY hard. Just means she can't pick her nose or scratch her ass with that hand. So my time is VERY thin right now, tied to the fact i may be going to university for two years.

I am spending too much time in front of my primary machine, learning the world of the network administrator and computer shop technician *2 job fields i am pursuing*, that partly i cannot stand being near a computer. Between my schooling and my personal computer, i am in front of a machine 75% of my waking time. Quite frankly, i am computered out for the time being.

I will still check the forums and interact, but that interaction will be limited.

I also am going to put some of my collection up for sale, so it does not languish or goto waste sitting on my shelves, if your looking for something i might have it, hit me up.

Now the hard part.

This actually feels like i'm saying goodbye to a long time friend, and in a way i am. Many of you in this forum has either, helped me with a problem, bought something from, or sold something to me. One of you has been in touch with me quite often, and i would like to not lose touch with that individual. I have also had the privilege to inject my 2 cents into many a conversation here

To all of you,
Thank You.

SkydivinGirl
December 12th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Sorry to hear you are leaving, but I wish you the best in your life. You may be able to come back at some time. :)

Good luck,

Heather

tezza
December 12th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Totally understand. We do these things for fun, and if it's not fun anymore then it's time for a change or at least a rest. Hobbies also need to be prioritised against other things in life.

Tez

leeb
December 12th, 2013, 07:31 PM
I have formally decided to 95% get out of the vintage computing world. My reasons for this include, school *takes up 85% of my available time anyway*, job search *through my college's IT department head*, a partial lack of interest, and a lack of work space due to my course work. My wife is also rather depressed right now due to losing the tips of her left fingers, down to the first knuckle, and is taking it VERY hard. Just means she can't pick her nose or scratch her ass with that hand. So my time is VERY thin right now, tied to the fact i may be going to university for two years.

I am spending too much time in front of my primary machine, learning the world of the network administrator and computer shop technician *2 job fields i am pursuing*, that partly i cannot stand being near a computer. Between my schooling and my personal computer, i am in front of a machine 75% of my waking time. Quite frankly, i am computered out for the time being.

I will still check the forums and interact, but that interaction will be limited.

I also am going to put some of my collection up for sale, so it does not languish or goto waste sitting on my shelves, if your looking for something i might have it, hit me up.

Now the hard part.

This actually feels like i'm saying goodbye to a long time friend, and in a way i am. Many of you in this forum has either, helped me with a problem, bought something from, or sold something to me. One of you has been in touch with me quite often, and i would like to not lose touch with that individual. I have also had the privilege to inject my 2 cents into many a conversation here

To all of you,
Thank You.

Forgive me for saying so, but
If you are ALREADY at this point you MIGHT want to consider a different career. You are going to be forced to interact with imbiciles who are fortunate to turn the poor thing on, all the way up to those who want to tell you which chip is responsible for THEM deleting something that 'they dont need'...

If you dont already, you will soon diagnose compuer problems in your sleep. Replay interactions with those you wanted to tell to f* off, and do it there. Design a network and test it... THEN wake up, tired and losing the design as you make coffee.

I 'bounce around' from one project type to another at this point... having the non-stable PC laptops, the ARM based tablets that I 'bricked', the little netbooks that I am STILL attempting to keep Linux on...

But every once in a while, I power up my Model 4p ('dinosaur') and say 'Hello!'. THAT feels good!

I will hope nothing but the best for you (and the missus!)

:D

barythrin
December 12th, 2013, 07:36 PM
JOZXYQK k2x4b524[, and I was just getting used to pronouncing your name. Now all that effort is lost?! ;-) The burn out happens to everyone at times so no biggie. Sorry to hear about your wife and her new found inabilities. Next time I scratch my a.. er.. Are you planing on listing stuff anywhere specific? (Not to be a vulture lol.. just trying to help the general public)

So you're doing a networking degree or just job stuff? If you want to get into a bit more hard core stuff (good for jobs) and do Cisco networking check out GNS3. Basically a virtual Cisco/network simulator (you just need to find some copies of IOS somewhere) but it will allow you to configure switches, routers, and firewalls and even run another virtual computer through them just like a fake work environment. Can save you the trouble (sometimes) of buying the real equipment.

I knew a guy, sharp dude but was burned out doing helpdesk stuff and he left the field for a job or two. Went to some rock cutting place or something. Not sure that was the best choice but he needed that mental break from something he enjoyed as a hobby but didn't enjoy as a full time job. Delicate balance. That's why I never could bring myself to do music as a profession (or maybe that's just what I tell myself ;-) ) It's a love, and hobby but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if it had deadlines and wasn't from the heart anymore.

But anyway, all the best to ya!

Unknown_K
December 12th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Doing your hobby as your main job just kills any enjoyment of the hobby.

I have been collecting for over ten years and there are months that go by where I just don't feel like tinkering all that much. Luckily I have 95% of my stuff in the basement where I can just let it sit while I do something else. Generally nothing bad will happen if you let the collection sit for a year or two while you finish your college work. If you do get the bug again later collecting what you sold and junked will probably be quite a bit more expensive (plus side is you probably won't be a vintage collecting hoarder again).

k2x4b524[
December 12th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Leeb,
I can already do most of those things, and no, i'm not going to consider a different career, computers has been a passion since i started tinkering on my dad's old datamedia when i was six, then took off when my mother gave my a 5160 at the age of 8, which is part of my collection and never going away as long as i can keep it working.

Barythrin,
Keep gettin used to pronouncing the name, all is not lost, i will still check the forums from time to time to see whats going on in this world. I am doing both the degree, and the job stuff, and planning on getting into the hardcore things. Thank you for that tidbit of info, i will look into the virtual Cisco things to use as a learning tool.

Unknown_K
I'm sure i will get the bug again later, but for now the spider bite has shrunk to just under a flea bite, with my mind focused on everything else and all.

Once again, Thank you all for the 4+ years of entertainment and enlightenment that is vintage computing

I will be back :)