PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying computer?

jtjulian12
December 17th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I have an Acer Aspire desktop computer. It is Model No. 500LB with Extension: C212B. I know it is older because it does not have USB ports, but I have not been able to find a post about it and cannot determine what exactly I have. Any help would be appreciated.

Ole Juul
December 17th, 2013, 05:53 PM
I have an Acer Aspire desktop computer. It is Model No. 500LB with Extension: C212B. I know it is older because it does not have USB ports, but I have not been able to find a post about it and cannot determine what exactly I have. Any help would be appreciated.

Perhaps you don't have the right numbers. Of course the 500LB brings up a lot of references to gorillas, but I found this quote from one place: "Acer does there [sic] system part numbers with 2 digit. 5 digit. 3 digit format. Something like this, 91.12345.213. Look for this on the back or side of the case", so that might help you in your search.

I couldn't find much either, but the pictures I saw made me think this was a pretty modern computer. Why don't you have a look inside and check out what CPU it has. While you have the cover off, you'll find lots of other information that will give you a good idea about what it is you have, such as RAM. You might also find some USB headers on the mother board.

jtjulian12
December 17th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Perhaps you don't have the right numbers. Of course the 500LB brings up a lot of references to gorillas, but I found this quote from one place: "Acer does there [sic] system part numbers with 2 digit. 5 digit. 3 digit format. Something like this, 91.12345.213. Look for this on the back or side of the case", so that might help you in your search.

I couldn't find much either, but the pictures I saw made me think this was a pretty modern computer. Why don't you have a look inside and check out what CPU it has. While you have the cover off, you'll find lots of other information that will give you a good idea about what it is you have, such as RAM. You might also find some USB headers on the mother board.

I contacted Acer with the information from the back and they were about to locate the Model name. It is an "Acer Aspire Desktop 460." It was produced in the 90's. Have you ever heard of it?

krebizfan
December 17th, 2013, 07:29 PM
If the system boots, check what shows up in the System section of the Control Panel, especially the Device Manager tab. The images that show up when I search on the model number seem familiar but I don't know the exact specifications. You might need to provide pictures for anyone distant to identify components.

Ole Juul
December 17th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I contacted Acer with the information from the back and they were about to locate the Model name. It is an "Acer Aspire Desktop 460." It was produced in the 90's. Have you ever heard of it?
No, I've never heard of it - but that doesn't mean much. :) Hopefully other people here with Acer experience will pipe up soon.

Why don't you tell us the numbers? The first thing I do when I see a post like this is search. Also, sometimes people have knowledge of databases with relevant info, so the more you can tell us the more we can tell you.

So, what's in the box? I'm guessing it's a first generation pentium and it's from 1995, and like you say, it does not have USB. That is the time when it was right in between in terms of USB support. A short time after that, everything had it. Good luck with finding out stuff about it. These forensic expeditions are fun. :)

Caluser2000
December 17th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Google foo bought up this pic16384 Apparently it was bundled with Windows 95 and has just the ps/2 ports for keyboard and mouse as well as one serial and one parallel port.