PDA

View Full Version : First Tandy clone with PCI?

IBM Portable PC
December 17th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Could be above 286 I guess?

Trixter
December 17th, 2013, 09:54 PM
If you're asking if there were any Tandy 1000 clones with PCI slots/bus, there never were any. If that's not what you're asking, please be more specific.

mojorific
December 18th, 2013, 08:13 AM
If you're asking if there were any Tandy 1000 clones with PCI slots/bus, there never were any. If that's not what you're asking, please be more specific.

I don't know if that is entirely true. Didn't Tandy work with AST to produce the Tandy Sensation! line?

They were 486 models, but i'm not sure if they had PCI slots or not.

Andrew T.
December 18th, 2013, 08:28 AM
The PCI standard was introduced in July 1993, and Tandy exited the computer business the same month. AFAIK, there was no overlap.

Trixter
December 18th, 2013, 08:51 AM
I don't know if that is entirely true. Didn't Tandy work with AST to produce the Tandy Sensation! line?

Yes, but I guess there is ambiguity as to what a "Tandy clone" was as the OP never specified. It's unclear if he's referring to clones made by tandy, or "tandy clones" meaning a generic term for the 16-color 3-voice-sound systems. I'm also curious why he asked; that's a very specific thing to look for.

IBM Portable PC
December 18th, 2013, 09:26 AM
I meant clones on the IBM PC AT produced by Tandy which had a PCI bus expansion slot.

Stone
December 18th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Since PCI is 32-bit and the IBM PC AT is not 32-bit (it's 16-bit) it can be ruled out immediately.

vwestlife
December 18th, 2013, 11:24 AM
By the time PCI slots became common, any computer with the Tandy name on it was just a rebadged AST. And pretty soon after that, Radio Shack gave up on the Tandy name entirely and started selling Compaqs.

Trixter
December 18th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I meant clones on the IBM PC AT produced by Tandy which had a PCI bus expansion slot.

Now that we've established that combination is impossible, why were you asking? Did you have a PCI card you wanted to jam into a vintage Tandy?

geoffm3
December 18th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I don't think I've ever seen an AST computer with PCI.

krebizfan
December 18th, 2013, 02:39 PM
AST had PCI equipped computers in 1995.

Though if the OP had seen a Tandy Micro-Channel equipped clone, the slots might have been mistaken with the very similar looking PCI slot.

Agent Orange
December 18th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Wasn't that the Tandy 5000 MC that came out in the late 80's? About the price of a good pickup back then, around 7 to 8K. I don't think Tandy ever had a PCI of its own unless it you want to include Compaq, which was sold at R/S after they quit making their own. When Tandy acquired what was left of Tandon, that would have been a few years prior to PCI coming on the scene in the early 90's.