PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Woodym1
August 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I started in computer service in 1960. Worked at Sperry Univac, then Telex, Potter Instrument, STC, (then, later StorageTek) Raytheon anf TRW. I have worked on and instructed maintenance classes on IBMs System 34, 36 and 38(RPG is NOT programming) Also almost every mainframe device they built. Even the 4331, 41 and 61 (but I never worked for IBM) At TRW, I did many small CP/M machines like Micromation, The silly Olivetti M series, some of which used the short lived Zilog Z8000. My first home computer was a much modified Ohio Scientific 6502 box. The main board had more added wire than circuit runs! I then purchased a Micromation S100 system which had fallen off the loading dock, 8" 20MB Fujitsu, 2 Shugard 850s w/4 CPU boards running MP/M. Had it straightened up and running in a month. Next was an IBM baby 36. I even had a Sinclair but thought of it as a toy.
Now retired, I still play with my small Cisco (and Linksys) home network. When anyone but family asks me if I'd "look at their computer" I tell them I worked in sales and know only how to use email a little! Once you sit-in on a neighbor's machine.....it will become your problem forever more!

dreddnott
August 16th, 2006, 11:47 AM
How long did you work for Sperry? My grandfather probably knew you...

Did you keep the S100 system?

Oh, and welcome to the board!

Chris2005
August 16th, 2006, 12:07 PM
yes welcome indeed. Please share often and with plenty. Or else! LOL LOL. And the sillier the puter the better. The Tandy 2000 is one of the FRIGGIN SILLIEST BOXES AROUND!! Just try and say it ain't so!

Woodym1
August 16th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Sperry Univac 1960 - 1967
SolidState 80/90, Univac III and all attached I/O, the RemingtonRand tab equipment. I spent more than a year in Ilion and later, Utica, NY for training.
I resigned 12/31/67, left as a Senior Systems Engineer.
Worked field service in Washington, DC, Charlottesville and then Norfolk. Also up and down the SE coast and occassional trips to Gitmo (Naval Supply Depot there had a Univac system)

I worked the Univac 1004 and 1005, 1004 Autodin systems (this was military communications for a while) Occasional service calls on a Univac 120 Computer..make that calculator. That means 120 characters of storage in cold cathode tubes. If the tube was blue, it held a bit. The machine had flourescent lights inside the cabinet, to help the tubes ionize. U120s were all round hole punch card based. The 1004 could read both 80 and 90 column cards.. even if interleaved!

Alan Sutton
March 11th, 2019, 05:41 PM
I started in computer service in 1960. Worked at Sperry Univac, then Telex, Potter Instrument, STC, (then, later StorageTek) Raytheon anf TRW. I have worked on and instructed maintenance classes on IBMs System 34, 36 and 38(RPG is NOT programming) Also almost every mainframe device they built. Even the 4331, 41 and 61 (but I never worked for IBM) At TRW, I did many small CP/M machines like Micromation, The silly Olivetti M series, some of which used the short lived Zilog Z8000. My first home computer was a much modified Ohio Scientific 6502 box. The main board had more added wire than circuit runs! I then purchased a Micromation S100 system which had fallen off the loading dock, 8" 20MB Fujitsu, 2 Shugard 850s w/4 CPU boards running MP/M. Had it straightened up and running in a month. Next was an IBM baby 36. I even had a Sinclair but thought of it as a toy.
Now retired, I still play with my small Cisco (and Linksys) home network. When anyone but family asks me if I'd "look at their computer" I tell them I worked in sales and know only how to use email a little! Once you sit-in on a neighbor's machine.....it will become your problem forever more!

I am a retired early adopter of S-100 computers in Glendale Arizona. I had a computer store in the late 70's named BITS-N-Bytes and later Arizona micro-computer center. I have had several systems and boards sitting on shelves since then and recently decided to see if I could revive any of them to sell. I have posted a number of items for sale on EBAY as seller TEMPLE922. I ahave a MICROMATION Z64/Doubler system with 2 8" FDD that I have up and running but I am missing the MICROMATION CP/M ver2.1 system disk(s). So I am unable to do any disk formatting or system functions such as SYSGEN. If you have these disks or know of anyone that does, I would appreciate the help in getting a copy for my use. If I cant find it, I will probably sell the system as worjing but restricted as noted. Best regards, Alan Sutton

Alan Sutton
March 12th, 2019, 05:31 PM
Hi, I see you have a MICROMATION system. I am reviving a system using their Z-64 and have not been able to find the system floppy so I can do formats and sysgens.If you have a copy of the disk or know of someone that does, please let me know so that I can continue with my system. I have also posted a thread to the S-100 group asking if someone there can help. Best regards, Alan Sutton