PDA

View Full Version : 8-Bit VGA

Smack2k
December 23rd, 2013, 06:31 PM
Any decent 8-Bit VGA Cards worth seeking out to put into an old 8088 machine? The card I have now in the machine is a 9-Pin (EGA I think) and I have no monitor for it..

I know there are 16-Bit cards that may work in the 8-Bit slots, but I am, as most can be, one of those "if its 8-Bit slot, it needs an 8-Bit Card" kind of freaks!

Thanks for the help, any suggestions are helpful...

Stone
December 24th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Get a Multisync and then you'll have one monitor for... everything. :-)

Trixter
December 24th, 2013, 06:15 AM
It's a lot easier to obtain VGA cards that work in 8-bit slots than it is to acquire an early Multisync in working condition.

Stone
December 24th, 2013, 06:39 AM
It's a lot easier to obtain VGA cards that work in 8-bit slots than it is to acquire an early Multisync in working condition.Not in my neighborhood -- I've got several in excellent condition. :-)

Caluser2000
December 24th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Any decent 8-Bit VGA Cards worth seeking out to put into an old 8088 machine? The card I have now in the machine is a 9-Pin (EGA I think) and I have no monitor for it..

I know there are 16-Bit cards that may work in the 8-Bit slots, but I am, as most can be, one of those "if its 8-Bit slot, it needs an 8-Bit Card" kind of freaks!

Thanks for the help, any suggestions are helpful...It's understandable why you want an 8-bit card. A 16-bit card that works in an 8-bit slot will get you sorted in the mean time though. And the thing is there are quite a few available. They're handy to have around as a spare for trouble shooting as well.

Smack2k
December 24th, 2013, 09:34 AM
It's understandable why you want an 8-bit card. A 16-bit card that works in an 8-bit slot will get you sorted in the mean time though. And the thing is there are quite a few available. They're handy to have around as a spare for trouble shooting as well.

True, and I have a bunch of those...so will be using that for now...but curious what to look for and prices for 8-Bit cards as I contnue to search!

GottaLottaStuff
December 24th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Get an 8-bit EGA/VGA card and add some flexibility to the system.

Caluser2000
December 24th, 2013, 11:18 AM
If the OP has no EGA monitor what's the point?

Smack2k
December 24th, 2013, 05:16 PM
If the OP has no EGA monitor what's the point?

For down the road, getting the dual capabilities is a great idea...

Have any suggestions for the EGA/VGA combo?

krebizfan
December 24th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I would suggest tracking down reviews of the various boards and making sure they work with the software you plan to install. Some of the early EGA/VGA boards were EGA boards hastily modified to provide some VGA compatibility and often had flawed reproduction. Unless you can find the dual port card cheap, stick with a pure VGA card.
InfoWorld issues to look at would be Oct. 26, 1987 and Mar 7, 1988.

Smack2k
December 25th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Again, thanks a ton!

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays

PeterNC
December 25th, 2013, 06:09 AM
I have a very early 16 BIT (8900) 256KB (can be upgraded with chips) Trident that has both EGA and VGA. After I confirm it works on a 8086 and/or V30 I could sell that one for pretty cheap in case you are interested. I also have an OAK true 8 BIT VGA card that I could sell but that one would be a little bit more expensive as I spent $24 on it on eBay a while ago. :D

Thandor
December 30th, 2013, 12:59 PM
The Paradise PVGA1A JK is a good choice. I used this card in my 8088 system and can't recall compatibility issues. I also benchmarked the card (using a fast Pentium 100; should benchmark with slower CPU too in the future) which you can read about here here (http://thandor.net/object/513). The 8-bit ISA Tseng Labs ET3000 and OAK OTI 037C are slower.