PDA

View Full Version : Help to find an old pc compatible model/manufacturer

386SX
December 25th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm a new user, and I really enjoy retro computing, I started twenty years ago my pc experience with two pc, a friend's Compaq Presario 433 and another computer I am really trying to find because I don't remember the name of the manufacturer nor the model of the computer.
I know this seems to be impossible but I will take this as a quest for the future, maybe one day or another I will remeber what was written in front of the case.
This was my very first computer: it certainly wasn't an original IBM so it was a pc compatible sold in Europe.

First of all: the CASE was a low profile horizontal white case probably 15 cm height, that you could open from 4 screws two on sides. In front of the case there was two round button probably 2 or 3 cm diameter, one was the TURBO button that pushed frequency from 16Mhz (Intel 386SX) to 20Mhz, the other one was the reset button. Buttons was rounded with a soft short click response and there was I think two very little green rounded "led". There wasn't any frequency monitor so you knew from the led or from the experience you were on turbo mode or not.

Second: Hardware configuration was this one: an Intel 80386 (SX) soldered on the motherboard on the pins of each four sides that run at 16mhz without turbo and 20Mhz with the Turbo. There was 512 or 640Kbyte of memory on micro sockets directly on the motherboard that was disabled when you inserted the ram (i think 32pin type). I put 4 Megabyte after some time. There was an OAK video card if I'm not wrong I think on ISA. There was obviously a 5.25 drive on the right and a 3.5 type under it. There was the keyboard connector BIG not the PS2 same thing for the mouse. There was a 49 Mbyte (it's hard to remember but I would say 49) hard drive. There was I think an AMI bios.

I know I would need some number or anything to remember but it's really hard to say. Probable if I 'd see it on photo I'd recognize it immediately so if someone know a gallery of old computer photos I 'll be happy to check it.

Thanks anyone.
I'll update this if I remember anything new.

Bye
:)

386SX
December 25th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I'm quite sure this was the processor

http://www.cpu-info.com/img/cpu/80386/iNG80386SX-20-CSTEP-L.jpg

other info... forcing to remember the upper case was a one piece of metal.

barythrin
December 26th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Hm.. Do you remember the power button? Was there anything else to remove the case top (sliders on top of screws?). It does sound sorta generic and could have just been a common white box clone. No vendor rings a bell with this one? Compaq, Packard Bell, Gateway? Funnily enough Commodore (http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/cpcs3.html) also had a PC with a similar case.

386SX
December 26th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Hm.. Do you remember the power button? Was there anything else to remove the case top (sliders on top of screws?). It does sound sorta generic and could have just been a common white box clone. No vendor rings a bell with this one? Compaq, Packard Bell, Gateway? Funnily enough Commodore (http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/cpcs3.html) also had a PC with a similar case.
power button rounded as the others two i would say on the left of the front. Reset and turbo on the center. I would say there was a sort of brand and model but i cant remember.

386SX
December 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM

I think it was just like the other buttons, round and probably 3 cm of diameter. I am not sure if on the left or the right.. :(

I don't think it was some common and well known brand, probably some minor manufacturer. In fact it was very similar with some Commodor, Amstrad or DECpc, slim desktop form.