PDA

View Full Version : Strange computer?

vladstamate
December 27th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Saw this on eBay. Not even sure if it IS a computer (but the common definition of computer). What is it?

link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Home-Computer-PC-Made-Prototype-Homemade-MIT-70s-Project-/291026524734?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item43c2885a3e)

Regards,
Vlad.

Chuck(G)
December 27th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I don't think it's a computer; the labeling tells that story. Most likely a test set for a piece of military gear.

And I don't think it's a homebrew job either because of the cable lacing. (Who even remembers how to lace a cable today?)

EvanK
December 27th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Oy! Looks like the same item which the seller posted a while back and claimed it as Steve Jobs' inspiration for the personal computer. I'd be very wary of doing business with that seller.

MikeS
December 28th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Oy! Looks like the same item which the seller posted a while back and claimed it as Steve Jobs' inspiration for the personal computer. I'd be very wary of doing business with that seller.Well, he did say "most likely," although then even more likely (is that possible?) it's not... ;-)

But yeah, I'd be wary too; among his other items a Commodore 1531 casette drive for only $290.00 ? Hmm...

g4ugm
December 28th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Some sort of test gear almost certainly. Nicely photographed so most of the chips are out of focus and you can't read the type numbers, but some 1972/73 date codes I think so almost certainly too old for a personal computer..

Ksarul
January 3rd, 2014, 07:18 AM
Guilty on knowing how to lace cables--I've done a lot of that in my day. LOL

Looking at the connectors on the bottom (one is power and the other is the data cable) and the available selections at the top, I would almost say it was a test set for a satellite terminal. That would explain the need to set the current Julian date--and the rate of advance.

pinto79
February 1st, 2014, 08:54 PM
Guilty on knowing how to lace cables--I've done a lot of that in my day. LOL.

Same here... I work in Aviation Instrumentation. Lots of wax string...