PDA

View Full Version : Broken Conector - IBM Display Model 5151002

tiroseno
December 31st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Hi, I have a new vintage computer, it's a IBM 5160, but the wires of the display are broken.

I can't conect the display to the cpu, I dont know link the wires to the D-Sub 9 pin conector. I got this information:

Display --------------------- Adapter CPU

1 -Ground ------------------- 1
2 -Ground ------------------- 2
3 -Not used ----------------- 3
4 -Not used ----------------- 4
5 -Not used ----------------- 5
6 -Intensity ----------------- 6
7 -Video -------------------- 7
8 -Horizontal ---------------- 8
9 -Vertical ------------------ 9

Chuck(G)
December 31st, 2013, 10:25 AM
What display do you have?

Stone
December 31st, 2013, 10:38 AM
It says 5151002 in the title. :-)

Great Hierophant
December 31st, 2013, 12:14 PM
If you think the pins of the monitor cable are broken, then they actually may not be broken but intentionally left off because they were not used. There will be no pins for positions 3, 4 and 5 in the DE-9 D-Sub connector. Looking at the connector, it should look like this

x x . . .
x x x x

x - pin
. - no pin

You should check the graphics card, make sure it is a monochrome, hercules or EGA card intended for the IBM PC Monochrome Display.

RWallmow
December 31st, 2013, 12:44 PM
If you think the pins of the monitor cable are broken, then they actually may not be broken but intentionally left off because they were not used. There will be no pins for positions 3, 4 and 5 in the DE-9 D-Sub connector. Looking at the connector, it should look like this

x x . . .
x x x x

x - pin
. - no pin

You should check the graphics card, make sure it is a monochrome, hercules or EGA card intended for the IBM PC Monochrome Display.

If OP is trying to diagnose a "no video" condition, there could be MANY, MANY other causes besides video card or monitor.

To OP:
Does the PC pass POST, Do the floppy drive(s) seek a few moments after power-on?
Are there any beeps heard from speaker?
Does it seem to try to boot from floppy/hard drive?

modem7
December 31st, 2013, 12:47 PM
but the wires of the display are broken.
The following earlier thread should help you.
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?22727-Trying-to-repair-ibm5151-002-monochrome-monitor-info-wanted