PDA

View Full Version : Get Pass Parity Error on Compaq Portable III?

JeffBaiCHINA
January 2nd, 2014, 11:10 AM
So I am trying to buy something for my birthday... And I came across a Compaq Portable III, which the seller says to show "Parity Error" when he tried to boot it up.

I am hesitating if I should take the risk and get the machine for around 50 bucks. So I am asking here if there is anyway to deal with this error, like

a. by removing the faulty chip?
b. by Diag. Diskette? I don't have anything to write a 5.25 diskette with...
c. or F1/F2 will just bypass the error?

Regards

Stone
January 2nd, 2014, 11:19 AM
You'll need to replace the faulty chip.

JeffBaiCHINA
January 2nd, 2014, 11:28 AM
You'll need to replace the faulty chip.

Do this happen to be a fatal error? Or will this parity error occur on the base 640k memory?

barythrin
January 2nd, 2014, 11:42 AM
Happy almost birthday! I would google around (I did but wasn't finding it quickly) or if someone here knows what type of memory the III takes. I thought it took SIMMs but now I'm wondering if mine was really a Portable 386 and not a III as I had though. It's probably a "fatal" error as far as the system goes unless you can configure it to only read a smaller amount of memory that might be before the actual bad chip. If it's older style DIPs (bunch of chips on a card) then they're usually easy to replace *if* you can figure out where the bad one is, otherwise it'd be the entire SIMM needing to be replaced which also isn't hard. The one you'd want to avoid (harder to find) would be if it happened to take SIPs. Ah here we go (http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos.asp?t=1&c=1064&st=1); looks like they'd just be standard 30 pin SIMMs (I think).

JeffBaiCHINA
January 2nd, 2014, 11:50 AM
Cool. So there is no way you can bypass that error and you have to do some replacement. Also the seller states that it was working but shows parity error after they stored it for some other months. I can totally replace SIMMs with no problem but can that be an issue somewhere else?