PDA

View Full Version : Disk II drive for Apple //e

Jace
August 17th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I recently came to possess an old Apple //e and when I set it up I found that the 2 Disk II drives that came with it aren't working properly and I'm not quite sure if the problem is in the interface or the drives themselves.

When I start the computer up, the light on the main drive comes on...makes all the appropriate noises but that's about it. I get stuck at the black screen with Apple //e on the top. I've tried all of my bootable floppies, I've tried switching the drives around, but the same thing happens in both cases.

Am I correct in assuming it's a problem with the Disk II interface or is there something I'm missing?

Terry Yager
August 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Most likely is still bad media. Try again with known-good floppies, if possible.

--T

Geo3
August 19th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Both drives may have dirty heads. Try using a head cleaning disk. If you do not have one, then you will have to UNPLUG the computer. Then take the cover of the DiskII. Slide the cover back over the ribbon cable. With some Q-tip cotton swabs, and some Isopropl Alcohol. Get the Qtip wet/damp then lift the triangle like thing that has the small pad over the read write head.
With the head exposed, rub the swab with the alcohol over it. The head is small and round. The read/write part is a small black line in the middle of the white surrounding.
Sometimes it will take 10 or 20 times of swabing it down and a little pressure to clean it. Sometimes you can see a build up or at times you will see a brown flim on the Qtip.
Let dry and reassemble. BEFORE trying it out reseat all the chips. With the computer STILL UNPLUGED touch the power supply to dicharge any static. Now reseat the chips on the mother board by pushing down on them. You should hear some crunhes as they reseated. Pull the Disk controler card and reseat the chip. NOW before you put the card back in slot 6. CLEAN the edge where it goes in. Paper towel with Isoprop, damp is best. You want to do both sides 5-10 with a little pressure. If you get a little discolor on the paper towel that is good. Now try a know good disk. Sometimes the old ones have dirt/dust or some kind of oxidation which can make the heads dirty real quick.

Hope this helps.
Take Care