PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this is?

falter
January 4th, 2014, 10:11 AM
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121246752198?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_342wt_1362

I mean, I get what it does -- but I'm curious about the form factor -- seems like it'd make more sense to have a detachable display that you can hang somewhere. Wondering if there's more than meets the eye on this one.

Stone
January 4th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Looks like a WYSIWYG, plain'n simple.

MikeModifed
January 4th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Strange auction:

"Current bid: US $113.50 Approximately C $120.57"
"Shipping: Does not ship to Canada"

:confused:

Mike

chalackd
January 4th, 2014, 10:56 AM
eBay.ca always estimates the conversion rates, even for items listed U.S. only through eBay.com (if you then view them from .ca like that...)

I would almost guess that all the (similar to) molex connectors on the back of the unit might have connected it to a separate scrolling display? That's assuming that this was just a sign controller though, it'd be nice to be able to read the large label above the keyboard for more details.

Looks like a possible burn mark on a board behind the bundle of wires in the 6th photo too.

g4ugm
January 5th, 2014, 03:46 AM
seems like it'd make more sense to have a detachable display that you can hang somewhere. Wondering if there's more than meets the eye on this one.

I suspect that all the Molex sockets on the back were used to send data to several larger displays, and the switches were used to select which display, so you typed in the message on here, set the switches for the displays you wanted to load and then sent the output.,.

Oddly though the address that I get for EDEC, 1610 Maple Pl, West Fargo, ND,58078 which appears to be the address on the blue label on the front, on Google Maps looks like a residential street, so some one working out of their Garage.

The CPU is an 8085 so quite late for this sort of thing.