PDA

View Full Version : Western Digital WD1002A-FOX ISA FDC Manual?

IBM Portable PC
January 8th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Does anyone have the manual?

There are a number of links/jumpers not covered here http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy-controllers/U-Z/WESTERN-DIGITAL-CORPORATION-N-A-WD1002A-FOX.html#.Us3Xt7IayK0

Chuck(G)
January 8th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Yup, I've got it. The thing came in at least flavors. (1) The prototype card (I have two of those) (2) the 2-drive card (basically, the 4 drive card depopulated) and (3) the 4-drive card. The prototype is described in the WD37C65 applications notes in detail. The others are the standard fold-out WD sheet.

IBM Portable PC
January 8th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I have the 4 drive version with BIOS Ver 62-00105-032 (c) WD 1985

How does it compare to say a Compaticard I or IV?

Chuck(G)
January 8th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I've also got a 4 drive card in addition to others. That's the -F004

The other variants are:
F001 - 2 internal drives, no BIOS
F002 - 4 drives, no BIOS
F003 - 2 drives, BIOS
F004 - 4 drives, BIOS

This was pure lunacy on WD's part--the difference is a connector and a PROM and a little bit of random logic between the models. The F001, F002 and F003s are merely depopulated F004s.

Used as a way to get 1.2 and 1.44M formats onto a PC XT, it's not bad. Used "barefoot" without a BIOS (assuming that you have an AT or better), it's pretty good. It can read and write FM, although that's not mentioned.

The BIOS is okay, but has some irritating initialization messages. I've never checked to see if W4 set to secondary (the port addresses are wrong in the installation guide--primary is 3F2-3F7; secondary is 372-377) works with the BIOS or if the BIOS is for primary addresses only.

I can scan the brief user's guide if you can PM me your email. The Applications booklet for the 37C65A actually includes a schematic for the thing.

WD sold a lot of 37C65s with its hard disk (floppy+hard) controllers, but as far as I know, the 1002 FOX was a flop. WD referred to the 37C65 as its "Superchip" and was probably the first "all in one" FDC controller to support the PC AT standard. To support 1.2M, it requires a second crystal, a definite minus when compared to some of the later "Super I/O" controllers.

Given a choice between the CCIV and the FOX, I'd pick the CCIV--it's a much later product. Since the CCI is sort of sui generis with nonstandard ports, I'd pass it by if I had a choice.

IBM Portable PC
January 10th, 2014, 12:26 AM
I can't seem to find the application notes / schematic......any chance of warming up your scanner once more?

Chuck(G)
January 10th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I'll get to it eventually, but right now, I've got a few other things on my plate. Regardless, it isn't going to solve your Tandy 3rd drive problem. Perhaps a Montezuma Micro MUX card might, however.

lowen
March 2nd, 2017, 12:10 PM
I'll get to it eventually, but right now, I've got a few other things on my plate. Regardless, it isn't going to solve your Tandy 3rd drive problem. Perhaps a Montezuma Micro MUX card might, however.

(Pulling up a moderately old thread.....)

Chuck, did you ever scan these appnotes/schematics? I'm needing to compare to the CPU280 design to try to figure out why the SMC FDC37C65B or C works but the WD37C65C does not (when I say 'work' I mean 'write more than one sector without a DIO error' but where reading works fine with either controller, and I want to see if there are hardware differences in the way the FDC is driven on the host side with the reference design).