PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the exact dimensions for an IBM 5160 Mobo?

Springbok
January 16th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Anyone perhaps know the exact dimensions of the 5160 Mobo. I am trying to find a modern Mobo that is the same size that I can retro fit into a 5160 case. Not looking at socket-7/super socket-7, but a modern Mobo.

Thanks.

vwestlife
January 16th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Any "Baby AT" board should fit. The only thing to worry about is the clearance under the drive bays. If the board has anything tall in that corner, it won't fit.

Chuck(G)
January 16th, 2014, 11:25 AM
You'd have to do some pretty tough butchery to handle the I/O area of a modern ATX board, wouldn't you? It also seems to me that most modern mobos have DIMM slots and power connectors in that under-the-drive-bay area.

vwestlife
January 16th, 2014, 12:07 PM
You'd have to do some pretty tough butchery to handle the I/O area of a modern ATX board, wouldn't you? It also seems to me that most modern mobos have DIMM slots and power connectors in that under-the-drive-bay area.

A Mini-ITX or similar small-sized board would fit well within the confines of an XT or PC case. Then you'd just need to snake the cables through the existing openings in the back. It would make swapping monitors/keyboards/etc. a pain (you'd need to open the case to do it), but would avoid the need for any metalwork.

Otherwise, I think the Pentium III is as "modern" as Baby AT motherboards got, except maybe for specialized boards made for industrial use.

SomeGuy
January 16th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Butchery on the board or the case? On "modern" ATX boards that lack protruding connectors like VGA, serial, or audio, you might just be able to fit it in an AT (or XT?) case unmodified. You could use alternate USB headers and backplates for keyboard and mouse, and PCI card for video, although everything else would be blocked.

But I would think the real show stopper there is the power supply. With "modern" CPUs (that require what, 1.21GW?!) no way that is working with an XT power supply. And every time I check they add a new power connector to the ATX power supply requirements.

Chuck(G)
January 16th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Regardless, the problem is the I/O, not the actual physical dimensions. As far as the PSU goes, you might be able to stick the innards of a ATX PSU in the XT PSU case.

All in all, on might be better off with a non-expandable PC-on-a-board, rather than trying to shoehorn a modern ATX/ITX board into a case that might not have the required heat transfer characteristics.

If all you're going to do is browse the web, perhaps a Raspberry Pi could be tucked into a corner of the case without removing any of the existing parts...

I'm still waiting for someone to turn an 5150 into a table lamp...
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/R3sAAOxydlFS0wIl/$_1.JPG

Springbok
January 17th, 2014, 04:25 AM
To answer my own question.... it is 8.5" x 12".

Also... I have already built a tweener in a 5160 case. You are correct. I had to buy a 250W AT power supply from NewEgg and transfer the guts. One day I will post pics and do a write-up of my project. It is pretty cool.

The next step is to build a modern PC in a 5160 case. This will be more difficult. It is going to require modding the case substantially.

wesleyfurr
January 17th, 2014, 04:33 AM
That would be tough to get an ATX type board in an AT/XT type case. I guess if you have good metalworking skills, you could replace the back plate with something appropriate...then you could also put in a regular ATX power supply further to the side and free up more space for the board connections, etc. Though then I guess the problem is the missing power switch in the hole in the back side of the case...

Neat project! Please keep us posted...would also love to see photos of the other build!

Wesley

Springbok
January 17th, 2014, 05:20 AM
Well the first problem I have is finding a modern mobo that is 8-8.75" wide, that has PCI/PCIE slots that line up with the slots on the back of the case. Any ideas?

framer
January 17th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Anyone perhaps know the exact dimensions of the 5160 Mobo. I am trying to find a modern Mobo that is the same size that I can retro fit into a 5160 case. Not looking at socket-7/super socket-7, but a modern Mobo.

Thanks.

A modern ATX MB would require a replacement of the whole back. I've considered this and have a collection of backs from old ATX cases that were assembled with rivets or screws so I kept the back plate. I have not attempted it yet. It would be a major refit project.

framer

vwestlife
January 17th, 2014, 12:45 PM
I hacked a 386 motherboard into an IBM PC case once many years ago, but only because I got the case for free. These days, PCs and XTs are valuable enough that unless you really have a strong interest in the project, you're better off not making any irreversible modifications to the hardware.

framer
January 18th, 2014, 10:13 AM
I hacked a 386 motherboard into an IBM PC case once many years ago, but only because I got the case for free. These days, PCs and XTs are valuable enough that unless you really have a strong interest in the project, you're better off not making any irreversible modifications to the hardware.

And that why I've not done it yet. I'm waiting for a beater frame to work on. I don't want to ruin a good one.

framer