PDA

View Full Version : Nixdorf PC02 / RL-H7100W HDD not working

ConiKost
January 17th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Hi,
i've got recently an portable computer, called Nixdorf PC02. It is a labeled model of the Panasonic RL-H7000W.
Seems to be standard specs. 4.77MHz Nec 8088, 640KB RAM, 360K Floppy, 20MB HDD NEC D5126 / 134-200450-006.

The PC starts, I can boot from floppy. It seems, there is something wrong with the hdd controller. There is one build in, its called "WD 1002-MAT". There is on a Chip labeled: 62-002000-000. Picture (http://imgur.com/lfOyqeF)
After each start, I get an output: "HDC 01 0501". I managed to get the original documentation.

There is described as follow:

HDC n1n2 n3n4n5n6
[...]
n1n2=01: Rücksetzen fehlerhaft (That should mean something like reset faulty?)
[...]
Error code... HEAD=n1n2, TRACK=n3n4n5n6, SECTOR=n7n8, STATUS=n9n10...n31n32

Here are those two pages: page1 (http://imgur.com/LQizaof) and page2 (http://imgur.com/YPVv5xB)

I've also noticed, that the drive led is always on! It never goes off. I've also managed to the the original boot and diagnostics floppy disk. When I run the hard drive test, I am getting only time out: picture (http://imgur.com/Z5d34Ws)

There seems no interactive bios in the original hard disk controller. DEBUG C800:5 gives me after a few seconds "HDC 01 0501".. Output: picture (http://imgur.com/a4D9T6v)

When I insert an WDXT-Gen (F300) and connect the drive to it, its working! The Controller finds the drive an I am able to use it. So the drive seems to be fine. Its the controller, which seems to make trouble.

Has anybody some ideas, who to make it work with the original controller? I want to use it, as it also has the memory banks, which upgrade it to 640KB RAM instead of 128KB stock memory.

H-A-L-9000
January 17th, 2014, 09:55 AM
"Rücksetzen fehlerhaft" could be seek to track 0 failed, when looking at the table. You could try different cables, if you didn't already.

ConiKost
January 17th, 2014, 09:57 AM
"Rücksetzen fehlerhaft" could be seek to track 0 failed, when looking at the table. You could try different cables, if you didn't already.

Hm. That's going to be hard. I don't have any other MFM equipment here. So no other cables to test. But if its working with another controller, shouldn't be the cable ok?

Chuck(G)
January 17th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Also, make sure that the drive cables aren't installed "upside down". Observe that if you power the system up with the drive signal cables removed, the LED does not come on (or it shouldn't). Note also, that the 34 conductor drive cable is not the same as a floppy cable!

ConiKost
January 17th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Also, make sure that the drive cables aren't installed "upside down". Observe that if you power the system up with the drive signal cables removed, the LED does not come on (or it shouldn't). Note also, that the 34 conductor drive cable is not the same as a floppy cable!

As MFM is pretty new for me, I am not sure if I understand you correctly. There are two cables connected to the controller. One has more pins than the other. Which one is the signal cable? The small one? I can see on the controller three jumpers. W1, W2 and one with E1/E2. When I remove W2, the LED light goes off. Is W2 inserted, it's all time on.

Stone
January 17th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Note also, that the 34 conductor drive cable is not the same as a floppy cable!How not?, I've used them interchangeably without problem. It's just a straight through ribbon. Of course I'm referring to the section without the twist.

Stone
January 17th, 2014, 10:13 AM
As MFM is pretty new for me, I am not sure if I understand you correctly. There are two cables connected to the controller. One has more pins than the other. Which one is the signal cable? The small one?I don't know about signal cable but the 34 pin cable is the control cable and the 20 pin cable is the data cable.

Chuck(G)
January 17th, 2014, 10:21 AM
How not?, I've used them interchangeably without problem. It's just a straight through ribbon. Of course I'm referring to the section without the twist.

The "twist" is precisely the issue--folks grab a floppy cable with the ST412 drive set to the second select and expect it to work just like a floppy. The twisted cables are different. The flat section, of course, is the same--and to use it successfully, you have to set the HD to the first drive select (DS0 or DS1, depending on the numbering system used).

Inverting the cable will pull all of the drive signals active and very likely wipe out the first track on the drive. Pin 1 on each conductor, both motherboard and drive must line up iwth the same conductor in the cable.

Another not-uncommon mistake occurs when the manufacturer used unshrouded headers on the motherboard--it's not difficult to insert the cable (particularly in a tight situation) so that the connector "misses" a row on the header.

The small 20 pin cable (1 to a drive) is the signal cable and carries differential signaling. Make certain that if you have a 2-drive controller that the signal cable goes to the proper header on the motherboard--there are usually 2 signal headers there, but they are not the same.

ConiKost
January 17th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I am not sure. But I can't plug the cable wrong in, as there are mounts, that only allow in to plug in the cable in one direction? (You can see those on the picture in my first post)

Chuck(G)
January 17th, 2014, 11:25 AM
If you leave both ribbon cables disconnected, but leave the power cable connected to the hard drive, does the drive LED come on and stay on when you apply power? If so, the drive may be toast.

ConiKost
January 17th, 2014, 12:14 PM
If you leave both ribbon cables disconnected, but leave the power cable connected to the hard drive, does the drive LED come on and stay on when you apply power? If so, the drive may be toast.

How can the drive be toast, if its working with an WDXT-Gen controller without any problems? (Buildin in the same machine and original controller disabled)
Anyway, when I do so, the led goes off.

Stone
January 17th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Then the controller is the toast! :-)

Chuck(G)
January 17th, 2014, 02:21 PM
I agree with Stone. Barring a misplaced jumper, that's probably the problem, assuming that you've used the same set of cables for both tests.

It could be something as simple as a driver IC gone bad, but that's hard to say from a distance.

ConiKost
January 17th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Well, i hope the controller is not dead :( The problem is, that the manual doesn't say anything specific about the controller..
I've got only a W1 and W2 ,Jumper. Ans a single Jumper, where one Pin is E1 and the other E2.

When I unset W1, nothing changes. W2 disables the drive led, E1,E2 also nothing. So I am out of ideas.

I've only read in the manual, that the built in hard drive has only 10mb. So the current one is not the original one. Can be the controller locked to a specific drive?

Chuck(G)
January 17th, 2014, 03:29 PM
So this is a Panasonic Sr. Partner wearing a Nixdorf badge? Senior Partners are not uncommon even today--you may want to re-post this in the "Handhelds/Portables" forum area. I'm pretty sure that someone may actually have one of these that they can check to see what the proper settings and configuration should be.

Stone
January 17th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Well, i hope the controller is not dead :(Sounds like you already proved that it is dead.

Run a simple diagnostic test on the controller. SpeedStor will do this and I'm sure there are others, as well.

If you don't have it and want it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r733qh52g3nev9j/SSTOR.ZIP (https://www.dropbox.com/s/r733qh52g3nev9j/SSTOR.ZIP)

ConiKost
January 17th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Sounds like you already proved that it is dead.

Run a simple diagnostic test on the controller. SpeedStor will do this and I'm sure there are others, as well.

If you don't have it and want it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r733qh52g3nev9j/SSTOR.ZIP (https://www.dropbox.com/s/r733qh52g3nev9j/SSTOR.ZIP)

Thanks. I will give a try.

So this is a Panasonic Sr. Partner wearing a Nixdorf badge? Senior Partners are not uncommon even today--you may want to re-post this in the "Handhelds/Portables" forum area. I'm pretty sure that someone may actually have one of these that they can check to see what the proper settings and configuration should be.

It's exactly the same model. Just rebranding by Nixdorf.

ConiKost
January 18th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Seems, the controller is really faulty. Maybe only the rom, who knows.. SSTor does not detect it, even not without connecting a drive. Only the newer WDXT-Gen.

I've also found a error list for a WD1002, which is exactly the same as mine, but in english:

Code Completion Code Summary

01 Bad Command
02 Address Mark Not Found
04 Sector Not Found
05 Reset Failed
07 Set Parameters Failed
09 Attempt to DMA across 64K boundary
0B Bad Track
10 Correctable Data Error
11 ECC Error Corrected
20 Controller Failure
40 Seek Failure
80 Time-out
BB Undefined Error
FF Read Status Failed

01 0501 are my printed error codes.
When I understand the manual correct, 05 is from bios, 01 from the controller.