PDA

View Full Version : AST Computer with Goldstar 1430 VGA Monitor

iKokomo
January 22nd, 2014, 10:03 AM
I am not too sure about if this computer fits the place that I posted it. But I found this old AST (10 MHz if I remember correctly from a manual that I read when I was a kid) with a Goldstar 1430 VGA Monitor and I was wondering if anyone had any information on this computer? We actually do have a couple of these with the original keyboard and a brother dot matrix printer.
Last time I used it (5-6 years ago?) they worked perfectly!

I was wondering if these are worth anything, and if not, what to do with them?? Thanks a lot!

PeterNC
January 22nd, 2014, 11:23 AM
These are typical IBM AT clones from the late 1980s / early 1990s. They usually do not have a high value. Also: take pictures on the inside (hopefully there was no battery that leaked) and also power it on to see what happens. When they work they sell from $20 to $100 excluding shipping on eBay. CRTs are harder to sell because they are heavy, require a lot of packaging / a big box. And this CRT is not a top brand or OEM (like Tandy / IBM / NEC MultiSync).

Sometimes parting these machines out get's you more bang for your buck: MOBO, RAM, HDD, PSU, FDD, NIC, sound cards (when rare). Good luck!

Aside from eBay: Craigslist, Bonanza, eBay Classifieds, American Listed are good venues. When you want to drop things off for recycling for free: your town yard, Best Buy and Goodwill. Or a Craigslist curb alert or a freecycle ad. Sometimes I put stuff out on the curb and metal recycling people will take it.

SomeGuy
January 22nd, 2014, 12:08 PM
For anyone dealing with generic XT/AT hardware, those are very nice cases.

You absolutely want to show what is inside, as they can hold anything from a 4.77mhz XT board, to a 500mhz AMD K6. And they can contain any combination of cards, that can greatly affect the value.

That monitor looks like one I used to have. I assume that is VGA? Mono MDA or RGB CRTs are hard to find, but with VGA later CRTs (that can do at least 800*600@85Hz or 1024*768@85Hz) are much more desirable than early ones (That one probably can't do more than 640*480@60hz), unless they have a big brand name like IBM or Apple on them. If you try to sell the monitor, list it separately from the CPU.