PDA

View Full Version : Noob with a faulty compaq deskpro

Sutty100
January 22nd, 2014, 10:25 AM
I decided I wanted to get into some retro dos gaming so got a campaq deskpro 4000 from ebay, first one was dead on arrival PSU I guess, second free replacement posted fine etc but the hard disk had been wiped. Turns out some bios settings are stored on a small partition on the HDD, so I was unable to install dos.

Found on compaqs site some floppy disk images to restore the partition, got those written and it booted into the menu to restore the partition...but gave an error that the hdd could not be written to. Got into the bios via the floppy disks and I think the hdd was set to be a slave.

So took pc apart moved the jumper but it back together and now it wont post! Fires up but just sits there with no video output and all the leds on the keyboard lit up! I'm now out of ideas and can't find any info on what all leds on the keyboard means as an error code, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chuck(G)
January 22nd, 2014, 10:28 AM
I think it might be useful to indicate what sort of Deskpro you have. That name has been used on a wide variety of Compaq models.

Sutty100
January 22nd, 2014, 11:01 AM
I think it might be useful to indicate what sort of Deskpro you have. That name has been used on a wide variety of Compaq models.

Not entirely sure but when it used to post it said deskpro 4000

PeterNC
January 22nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
My suggestion: list it on eBay, sell it and buy a machine that is good to go for DOS gaming. Although old PCs are lots of fun: when your objective is DOS gaming and you are not into extensive repairs (can get expensive / frustrating / time consuming it is better to spend a little $ on a cool plug & play solution. Good luck!

Example of a nice OEM 80486: http://cgi.ebay.com/111262584397 (very expensive shipping if you ask me). :D

Stone
January 22nd, 2014, 12:19 PM
You could try DOSBox on your modern machine and see how you like that as an alternative. It plays DOS games quite well.

PeterNC
January 22nd, 2014, 12:27 PM
Excellent suggestion. Although I personally prefer the "real deal". :hunter:

Chuck(G)
January 22nd, 2014, 02:11 PM
So what specifically is wrong with using a 233MHz PII for gaming? Really--I don't know, since I'm not a gamer.

Stone
January 22nd, 2014, 02:24 PM
So what specifically is wrong with using a 233MHz PII for gaming? Really--I don't know, since I'm not a gamer.So, what on earth enticed you to open up this can of worms? :-) Just to add a little more fuel to the fire... I, for one, prefer my games on a nice, fast multi-core machine with a large LCD screen and matching HDD.

Unknown_K
January 22nd, 2014, 02:42 PM
DOS gaming goes from text adventures on a PC/XT all the way to 3D shooters. While a P2 is great for the 3D stuff, you need a different older PC for the early stuff. There is no real one machine fits all unless you want emulation.

Gog.com sells old games cheap which are setup to install and play on newer machines via emulation all set up and ready to go. You also get the original manuals and stuff in PDF form. People who just want to play an occasional old game might just want to do that.