PDA

View Full Version : Z80 In-Circuit-Emulator

ziloo
January 23rd, 2014, 11:23 PM
Hello Folks,

I found this item on ebay, and I would like to know your opinion,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z80-In-Circuit-Emulator-PlansTo-Build-ICE-and-Sofware-Break-at-ROM-Addresses-/331093943889?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d16bca651

Any comments is highly appreciated.

ziloo

Ragooman
January 24th, 2014, 02:34 AM
I'm building one myself. It's not a kit, just the plans and code. He only has it running Win at the moment. I think it's still in beta, as he sent me several code updates to fix some bugs. I curretly use the one from Bob Grieb, tauntek.com. I built that kit, and it works great - I modded mine to operate as an eprom emulator too. But he doesn't make them anymore. But you can probably still get the pcb from him - even the PIC micro thats already programmed - ask him what other parts he still might sell.

kyeakel
January 24th, 2014, 04:21 AM
I bought that as well, but haven't started building it yet. I figured for the price, it was was worth a look see. I also have the tauntek.com one and built it myself. It works as advertised.

Dan, can you outline the mods you did for the EEPROM emulator?

Kipp

Ragooman
January 24th, 2014, 08:35 AM
yea, basically I wired the eprom socket 2716) on my target board with a write protect switch, and installed a SRAM (6116). So then the SRam has the WR pin disabled in case the program code goes bezerk and doesn't scrog my code. I can upload a schematic here if you like. There's no modification on the Tauntek Z80 ICE itself needed.

On the other emulator, I used a different construction method that they proposed, I use a similar method as on the Tauntek Z80ICE, I can upload pics for that too.

ldkraemer
March 17th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Folks,
Does anyone know of a source for the Digikey 122-1432-ND CPLD Xilinx XC9536-10VQG44C, 44VQFP? Digikey doesn't stock them anymore.
Same for Mouser Electronics.

Thanks.

Larry

Ragooman
March 17th, 2014, 05:15 PM
eBay always has some
just get the right speed grade, faster doesn't hurt much here
I'd watch out for the China sellers - don't get stuck with fake parts
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Xilinx%20XC9536

Chuck(G)
March 17th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Atmel is still making the ATF15XX 5V CPLDs, if that's any help.

cr1901
March 18th, 2014, 07:47 PM
As far as I can tell, 5V CPLDs shouldn't be disappearing that soon... too many currently-used designs still support 5V logic.

I simply cannot fathom using a level-shifter for all I/O pins on a 44 to 68-pin device.