PDA

View Full Version : Central Point Software Copy II PC Option Board Image format

IBM Portable PC
January 24th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Has anyone tried to open the image with any contemporary software?

As expected my Mac won't open it, reporting "No File System".

Obviously it's proprietary, however it can't be very complex.

Clem

fs5500
January 24th, 2014, 08:43 AM
I've downloaded it and converted it to Standard Disk Format (360KB) by psi.exe of PCE emulator.
This must be Operating Disk of IBM DOS 3.10. (5.25" 360KB)
It is for IBM PC or compatible not for MAC.

I wonder this disk is for Worldwide release.
(My package is for USA release. only 2 bytes are different.)

IBM Portable PC
January 24th, 2014, 12:10 PM
I've downloaded it and converted it to Standard Disk Format (360KB) by psi.exe of PCE emulator.
This must be Operating Disk of IBM DOS 3.10. (5.25" 360KB)
It is for IBM PC or compatible not for MAC.

I wonder this disk is for Worldwide release.
(My package is for USA release. only 2 bytes are different.)

Mac's being FreeBSD based (loosely) are pretty good with many image formats, but not this one.

Good to hear about psi, I'll take a look. How does PCE ( http://www.hampa.ch/pce/about.html ) compare to DOSBox?

Finally, good point about image itself........

per
January 24th, 2014, 02:25 PM
The signifficant parts of the file format nessecary for getting to the data is known, and the data is practically a 1:1 of the low-level bits stored on the disk surface. I once made a small program to convert MFM encoded discs to regular binary format, but it's very crude.

Trixter
January 24th, 2014, 07:36 PM
How does PCE ( http://www.hampa.ch/pce/about.html ) compare to DOSBox?

It is more accurate than DOSBox when it comes to emulating a 4.77MHz 8088, although it is not cycle-exact. In fact, it's all over the place when it comes to instruction and memory timings, but the author tuned it so that it performs more or less like a 4.77MHz 8088. I was pleasantly surprised.

PCEM (http://www.tommowalker.co.uk/pcem.html) is another emulator and it goes so far as to emulate CGA snow, amongst other touches.

Both are nice alternatives to DOSBox when it comes to running very early game software. DOSBox remains the best choice if you're trying to get a 486 or Pentium-era DOS game working, or have special needs like recording video footage of what is happening onscreen.

IBM Portable PC
January 26th, 2014, 02:00 AM
Are there any DOS app which may be able to open/convert the CopyIIPC format?

I've tried Disk Copy Pro.

fs5500
January 26th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Are there any DOS app which may be able to open/convert the CopyIIPC format?

I've tried Disk Copy Pro.

I think there is no tool to convert .CP2 (Snatchit with Copy II PC) .IMG or .TC (Trans Copy Option Board) on DOS.
But psi.exe on PCE Emulator is possible on Windows.

Maverick1978
January 26th, 2014, 04:36 PM
OT: I've heard SnatchIt / CopyIIPC method mentioned over and over here... yet I've never seen anywhere how these two unrelated products are supposed to work together to produce a disk image. Can anyone explain?

Trixter
January 26th, 2014, 05:16 PM
copyiipc is a disk duplicator, and snatchit is a program that launches copyiipc and "merges" with it to allow you to dump the copied diskette to an image file. Think of it as a "teledisk for copy-protected programs". The combo of these two programs allow protected images to be sent to a vintage machine and reconstructed onto a (still protected) floppy.

SomeGuy
January 26th, 2014, 05:30 PM
The root of the need for Snatchit is that CopyIIPC, for whatever reason, lacks the ability to save what it reads to a file. Snatchit fixes that.

IBM Portable PC
January 26th, 2014, 05:46 PM
The root of the need for Snatchit is that CopyIIPC, for whatever reason, lacks the ability to save what it reads to a file. Snatchit fixes that.

Well the version of TC.EXE (i.e. Ver 5.4 of Transcopy - CopyIIPC's software) that I have certainly dumps to a file. You simply enter 'C' drive as the destination and it asks for a file name.

I'm yet to try Snatchit, it's purpose is not clear to me, most of the readme.txt file follows:

This describes how to take games that are full disks (usually
the ones you get in a store) and turn them into a transferrable file.
You can change the disk into a file and archive it for later use, like
in case you blow the original disk or something like that. There are
basically two types of files that you canb turn the full disk game
into. There are files ending with .CP2 and .DSK We will first
discuss the CP2 files.

CP2 Files
----------------

You can create a CP2 file from a full disk game by using a
program called Snatchit.com and CopyIIpc.exe. You have to put the
game disk in drive a, and place Snatchit and CopyIIpc in the same
subdirectory on a hard drive. (If you have not got a hard drive,
you can use a RAM drive program.) You run the Snatchit program
and when it asks to read a Source File, or a Source Disk, you type
in a Source Disk. The program will then Read the disk, and turn it
into a file (You chose the name) ending in .CP2, and place it on
the hard drive. (Or on the RAM drive).

You can then Archive the file and do with it what you want.
To change a .CP2 file, back into a full disk game, you place a blank
disk in drive a, and the .CP2 file, Snatchit, and Copyiipc on the
hard drive in the same directory (Or in the RAM drive). You run
the snatchit program, and type F where it says sourse file or
disk. (you are reading a source file). It will then read the file
and place it on the disk. When you re boot the disk, the game will
start.

DSK Files
-----------------
DSK files are created in much the same way as CP2 files, except
you use a program called Disksq to change the full disk game into a
file and diskunsq to change the file into a full disk game. There is
no copy program needed for disk squishing and unsquishing. Running
the programs gives complete instrictions. Depending on the program
size, you may or may not need a hard drive. But a hard drive is
always a good idea.

CONCLUSION
-------------------
Both type of files are easy to obtain. It seems to me that creating
the CP2 files is fatser then the DSK files. The Snatchit program along
with CopyIIpc will take care of almost any kind of full disk you may
encounter. These are very good Cracking programs and They have always
served me well. One thing is kind of strange, when you snatch a file
off of a copyrighted disk, it sometimes comes up to be around 400k,
even though the disk is only has 360 k storage space on it. This is
why a Hard drive is a good idea. You don't have to worry about running
out of space.

SomeGuy
January 26th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Transcopy is a completely different program from Copy II PC.

Copy II PC works on all PCs and uses only software to copy disks.

Transcopy requires a special hardware card to read and write disks.

The confusion is probably that the name of the card is "Copy II PC Option Board", even though it does not use the Copy II PC software. Both were sold by Central Point Software.

Transcopy saves images to disk. Copy II PC does not. Copy II PC needs Snatchit to do that.

Al Kossow
January 26th, 2014, 07:04 PM

It was deliberately omitted so that Central Point could claim it wasn't promoting piracy.

IBM Portable PC
January 26th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I just realized that i found img2dsk a few years back.......I tried it, however it just goes into a loop and reports endless sectors errors from multiple images. Perhaps it won't run on an 8088/V20 although I received the same result in DOSBox.

http://retro.icequake.net/dob/mirror/cbachman/

There is discussion about this here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?22810-Disk-image-writer/page2

per
January 27th, 2014, 03:39 AM
There is discussion about this here: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?22810-Disk-image-writer/page2That's a different img2dsk! It only wirtes raw sector-data images to disk, and has nothing to do with the Option Board or its images.

The Option-board related img2dsk you link to seems to be spesifically designed for images of Apple II disks. They use a different encoding scheme than PC disks (GCR vs. MFM). If you throw an image of a PC disk at it, it's bound to get confused.

IBM Portable PC
January 27th, 2014, 05:05 PM
That's a different img2dsk! It only wirtes raw sector-data images to disk, and has nothing to do with the Option Board or its images.

The Option-board related img2dsk you link to seems to be spesifically designed for images of Apple II disks. They use a different encoding scheme than PC disks (GCR vs. MFM). If you throw an image of a PC disk at it, it's bound to get confused.

Do you have a link to the version of img2dsk that you're referring to?

per
January 28th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Do you have a link to the version of img2dsk that you're referring to?

It came from the old Microsoft MSDN Library for Visual Studio 6 CDs. Otherwise, the other tool mentioned in the thread does exactly the same thing so I guess it's easier to just use that.

fs5500
January 28th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Well, IMG2DSK is a program to copy raw standard disk image files back to disk.
But TransCopy Image (.IMG) is different from raw standard disk image.
Most of user confuse TransCopy Image (.IMG) with Normal Standard Raw Image (.IMG).

Unfortunately TC.EXE can handle only .IMG file extension.
So to convert TransCopy Image to other format (.TD0 .PSI .IMA), .IMG must be renamed as .TC

I always dump disk image as follows.

.IMA (Normal Standard Raw) .TD0 (Teledisk) .TC (TransCopy)

TC image is converted to .PSI (PCE Sector Image) to run on PCE emulator with copy protected emulation.

Kyroflux image is now coverted to .PRI (PCE Raw Image) or .TC (TransCopy) by using pfi.exe pri.exe.

fs5500
January 29th, 2014, 12:08 AM
I've dumped over 250 kinds of my Copy Protected package by using Teledisk (.TD0) / ImageDisk 1.1x (.IMD) / TransCopy Option Board (.IMG --> .TC).
If anyone dumps copy protected disk by Kyroflux / Super Card, it will be best solution.
I don't have SC / KF.
But I think dump quality must be as follows

Kyroflux >= TCOB > Teledisk > ImageDisk > Snatchit

FDA 6.1 is nice dump tools for dumpign Gunship / Pirates!

IBM Portable PC
January 29th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I have a HxC FDE and have started a discussion there also, with a view to being able to use Option Board images natively with the HxC FDE:

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1369

hargle
January 30th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Well, IMG2DSK is a program to copy raw standard disk image files back to disk.
But TransCopy Image (.IMG) is different from raw standard disk image.
Most of user confuse TransCopy Image (.IMG) with Normal Standard Raw Image (.IMG).

Unfortunately TC.EXE can handle only .IMG file extension.

slightly offtopic- I hacked my copy of tc.exe with a hex editor and changed every reference of ".IMG" to ".TC " and now tc.exe will look for, open, and write .TC images instead of .IMG's and no renaming or confusion anymore. It was very easy to do, but make a backup of your tc.exe of course!