PDA

View Full Version : serial or bus mouse?

oblivion
January 24th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I have 2 empty ISA slots in my XT class machine I feel compelled to fill. So thinking of adding a mouse. since ISA PS/2 cards seem as rare as hens teeth, to the point I'm beginning to doubt they actually exist at all my options are serial or bus. Are there any acually diffrences between using the 2? Bus mice seem rarer "in the wild" but online I can easily find either. does the ctmouse driver work with bus mice? does ctmouse work in older DOS versions such as 3.3?

Agent Orange
January 24th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I have 2 empty ISA slots in my XT class machine I feel compelled to fill. So thinking of adding a mouse. since ISA PS/2 cards seem as rare as hens teeth, to the point I'm beginning to doubt they actually exist at all my options are serial or bus. Are there any acually diffrences between using the 2? Bus mice seem rarer "in the wild" but online I can easily find either. does the ctmouse driver work with bus mice? does ctmouse work in older DOS versions such as 3.3?

and I ment OR in the thread title not of....but I cant figure out how to edit titles......

If it was me I'd just go with a serial or multifunction card and save a slot. Serial mice are plentiful and fairly inexpensive. On an XT - what the heck, a mouse is a mouse.

SpidersWeb
January 24th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I'd just use a serial mouse unless a card+mouse appeared in your lap. There is no noticable advantages - except you have a card/port that *only* does mice - instead of multiple uses (like a serial port).
I like them, it's neat, but I'm not sure it's worth tracking down parts for.

I don't know about CTMouse, you'll need to read the docs for it. But I've used a Logitech driver in the past, and that detected my MS InPort card and worked. I'd expect the standard MS Mouse would as well.

Chuck(G)
January 24th, 2014, 05:50 PM
For those of you with a bus mouse, have you popped the thing open? Are there any active (other than opto sensors) components in them?

SpidersWeb
January 24th, 2014, 07:28 PM
For those of you with a bus mouse, have you popped the thing open? Are there any active (other than opto sensors) components in them?

I haven't popped mine open. But I figured they must be as dumb as door nails in there - mouse driver I used didn't seem to be able to tell if a mouse was even connected.

deathshadow
January 24th, 2014, 08:10 PM
My favorite mouse in my collection is the first edition logitech trackman marble -- pre-wheel, with a PS/2 plug. Amazingly it came with adapters for both USB and Serial...

Though I've got a very big collection of Logitech trackmans -- from the original no wheel serial only to the brand new blue-ball wireless models.

Serial is easiest on anything older; the odds in this day and age of needing serial for anything else is a joke.

Unknown_K
January 24th, 2014, 08:41 PM
My favorite mouse in my collection is the first edition logitech trackman marble -- pre-wheel, with a PS/2 plug. Amazingly it came with adapters for both USB and Serial...

Though I've got a very big collection of Logitech trackmans -- from the original no wheel serial only to the brand new blue-ball wireless models.

Serial is easiest on anything older; the odds in this day and age of needing serial for anything else is a joke.
I think my trackman marble was the first model they made (purchased new) but I never really got into it.

On an XT you pretty much go with whatever mouse type used the lowest memory footprint since you don't have a memory manager or really much RAM to spare.

paul
January 25th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Are there any active (other than opto sensors) components in them?I have two MS inports in new condition so I can't open them up, but there is a photo of the card on wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ISA_mouse_adapter.JPG), does that reveal anything? Seems to have 6 or 7 terminated lines.

I suppose technically they don't need anything in them except encoders but I would think a good engineer would tidy up the signal a bit before passing it on :)

Chuck(G)
January 25th, 2014, 11:51 AM
No, just wondering how easy it would be to adapt one to an Olivetti M24/AT&T 6300 keyboard mouse input.

dano
January 29th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Bus mice have really very little going on inside. There are wires for power, ground, each button, 2 for X quadrature, and 2 for Y quadrature. With a simple adapter they work perfectly on an Amiga or Atari ST.