PDA

View Full Version : Magnavox Odyssey2: Gutted for parts; keyboard conversion.

HillDragon
January 25th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I'm gutting an Odyseey2 to convert it into a PC case and have two questions:

1. Does anyone want the guts/ accessories? Everything's intact and was working when it was given to me this last year. 2 removable joysticks, power adapter, rf cable, and inner board.

2. I'm wondering where I need to look/what I need to learn in order to convert the membrane keyboard into something that will work with modern equipment. I've seen it mentioned while searching the forums, but only in passing.

Thanks for any input.

billdeg
January 26th, 2014, 09:32 AM
I hope destroying a working system was worth it.

k2x4b524[
January 26th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I agree with billdeg, with an extra gripe.

Really? One with the removable controllers? That means it was likely one of the first ones, as to my knowledge the removable controllers were silver in color. Which kinda makes the guts useless, unless you track down someone with an early O2 with the same removable controllers, but the system board went south.

Why do that with a membrane keyboard anyway? I'm not even sure if the keyboard would be capable of being interfaced to a pc.

You could probably put it back together and ebay the remains, sans keyboard, based on the controllers being removable.

Absolute Travesty....

HillDragon
January 29th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I'm sorry, I miss-spoke when I used the word "gutting".
The innards of the machine are held in with 4 bolts, thus nothing has been destroyed nor will it be. And I won't be removing the keyboard at all, it would make for quite the kitsch addition to a gaming PC to have the original keyboard in working order with the new tech. And I'm sorry, from the other threads I found, it didn't seem that rare of a find. I'll box it back up, retreat back into my hovel, and trade it for one that's not in working order over in the Marketplace.

Thanks for your quick reply my questions,
Hilldragon.