PDA

View Full Version : IBM PS/2 Model 50 (8550) How to reset Start-on Password.

industry
January 25th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Hello guys!
When I was little I bought my first computer that was IBM PS/2 Model 50 (8550). I really loved it and played games everyday, until I got a better computer. Now I found it again and I cant remember the password that was enabled back in the days. Do someone know how to bypass that wihtout format ? I want to play all games I have on it. I friend told me to swich place of some jumper? or remove battery and insert again. I cant find neither battery or a jumper. Can someone please help me , preferably with pictures where they're located. would really appreciate any help. I want to play them again :) Thank you!

barythrin
January 27th, 2014, 09:09 AM
This document seems to have a section on password overriding ("http://mypage.intergate.ca/~fspencer/8580prob.htm) on the 50-80 series. Let us know how it goes :-) What sort of games did you play on it? Were they on the drive or floppy based?

BTW you'll want to read a bit right quick or jot down any settings you can for the drive. I'm not sure if this will wipe out your CHS settings if you did have a hard drive in there. Ideally it doesn't take a setup disk and just uses the BIOS, but I'm not that familiar with this model.

SpidersWeb
January 27th, 2014, 09:21 AM
I had to clear the password on my Model 50 I recently aquired, I ended up having to leave the battery disconnected overnight.
Mine seemed to really want to hold on to it's CMOS data.

The battery is a big yellow thing next to the speaker, you need to carefully unclip it. There is a jumper there as well, but that didn't work for me, perhaps I needed to leave it installed longer. All I know for sure, is leaving the battery out overnight definitely worked.

Edit: it might not be yellow, but it's above the speaker, and quite clearly a battery

industry
January 28th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Hi, thanks for your replies.
barythrin your link does not work. leading to death homepage :(
I played , lemmings, SKi or Die, duke nukem 1 etc, love those games :) I have them installed on the drive.

SpiderWeb Okey thanks, I will take a look at it today, I can take some photos aswell if I cant locate the battery.

industry
January 28th, 2014, 03:38 AM
I have now removed the battery for about 4hours. When starting the comupter the OK is greenblue, before was it white and red. After pushing F1 it beeps and then a screen comes up with lots of commando , like a line.
it says:
1LIST 2RUN(arrow) 3LOAD" 4SAVE" 5CONT(arrow) 6,"LPT1 7TRON(arrow) 8TROFF(arrow) 9KEY 0SCREEN. What should I do now?

How can I come into the computer and play all my games that is installed on the hard drive?

industry
January 30th, 2014, 03:20 AM
been spoken to SpidersWeb in private. I have removed battery and now It boot to Microsoft BASIC. I see this in the bottom 1-List 2-run 3-load" 4-save" 5-cont 6-LPT1 7-TRON 8-TROFF 9-KEY 0-SCREEN.

Need a floppy disk (Model 50 reference disk). Can someone provide with a good guide how I can get my machine running again? :) would appreciate it, im lost when it comes to this old machines

vwestlife
January 30th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Need a floppy disk (Model 50 reference disk).

Searching "PS/2 Model 50 reference disk", amazingly enough, finds what you need... :)

http://www.walshcomptech.com/selectpccbbs/

industry
January 30th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Searching "PS/2 Model 50 reference disk", amazingly enough, finds what you need... :)

http://www.walshcomptech.com/selectpccbbs/

hehe yes thanks, he provide me with that also. what I dont understand is How I run it. Download the rar file and axtract the .img file to the floppy disk and just put it in the imb computer? Do I need to write any commands or will it start run and installed it by itself?

industry
January 30th, 2014, 06:18 AM
double post.

vwestlife
January 30th, 2014, 10:40 AM
The Reference Disk is self-booting. Just put it in the A: drive and turn on the computer.

industry
January 30th, 2014, 11:31 AM
The Reference Disk is self-booting. Just put it in the A: drive and turn on the computer.

Okey. Will try this as soon I have bought a USB floppy writer.

barythrin
January 30th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Sorry about that.. I mangled that URL somehow http://mypage.intergate.ca/~fspencer/8580prob.htm was what I intended to post for ya but sounds like you're past that (yay!).

SpidersWeb
January 30th, 2014, 02:44 PM
hehe yes thanks, he provide me with that also. what I dont understand is How I run it. Download the rar file and axtract the .img file to the floppy disk and just put it in the imb computer? Do I need to write any commands or will it start run and installed it by itself?

Connect USB floppy drive (if that's what you're using)
Download and install WinImage.
Open the IMG file with WinImage
Insert a floppy disk and tell WinImage to write to the disk - this will create an exact replica of the original reference disk
When it's finished, pop it in the PS/2 and power it on. It'll boot of your new replica disk, and if I remember correctly it'll start auto configuring itself.

industry
January 31st, 2014, 07:44 AM
Connect USB floppy drive (if that's what you're using)
Download and install WinImage.
Open the IMG file with WinImage
Insert a floppy disk and tell WinImage to write to the disk - this will create an exact replica of the original reference disk
When it's finished, pop it in the PS/2 and power it on. It'll boot of your new replica disk, and if I remember correctly it'll start auto configuring itself.

hi I have now done exact what you typed above but nothing happens, I still come to the screen where I have 1-9 options in the bottom of the screen. I took the floppy disk to my new computer and I can see all the files from the img file so everything is there. What is wrong?

industry
January 31st, 2014, 07:50 AM
all text is baby blue and like allways I need to press F1 ro go past the screen where its a OK and a IBM card. Next to that it says :

Before The OK was white and not baby blue. and when pressing F1 I just come to the screen where it says 1LIST 2RUN(arrow) 3LOAD" 4SAVE" 5CONT(arrow) 6,"LPT1 7TRON(arrow) 8TROFF(arrow) 9KEY 0SCREEN

industry
January 31st, 2014, 09:54 AM
Something is wrong big time. I was able to boot into the diskette and choose auto configuration and then I change password! after restart I get a error 2401 and then its just black with a smal icon in left side top corner like this :
what have i done now :(

industry
February 1st, 2014, 12:07 AM
OKey some update: The password I have seems not to be any start on password. It appears when MS DOS is starting.
Like this:
MS DOS starting...
checking memory.. done
etc
Then this prompt come saying, Insert password:
Its seems to be a password to come into MS DOS.

Also when doing test with the diskette it says :
error code 00175340 error during read test on fixed disk C
error code 00240900 the system have detected problem in display ground circuit

also code 02401 (when booting it says 2401)

but it looks like MS dos starting regarding that I come to my insert password.

EDIT: I manage go get the 2401 error away but put on the lid cover, But I cant get pypass the password to come into ms dos.
Spidersweb was nice to tell me in pm to press F5 when ms dos is starting so I can use prompt!
But I dont know how to start the games, I didnt even see them. I wrote this C:\ dir /w Then a list of only txt files I have on the computer. I remember them all , its txt files I wrote back in the days.
If I den wrote C:\ cd dos C:\ dir /w a list of exe and txt files shows , BUT still no games? How can I use the prompt to start the games. Why cant I see them when running the prompt command? is it wrong commands?

michaelwu0505
May 5th, 2014, 10:52 PM
hi I have now done exact what you typed above but nothing happens, I still come to the screen where I have 1-9 options in the bottom of the screen. I took the floppy disk to my new computer and I can see all the files from the img file so everything is there. What is wrong?

Hi industry,

I've also done the exact same procedure that was posted by SpidersWeb and also couldn't boot into the diskette. On a later post we mentioned that you were able to boot into the diskette, can you please share how you managed to do it? Thanks a lot!