PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Packard Bell Legend 822CDT Parts and Extras!

Anuextreme117
January 26th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I really want to receive some vintage unneeded Packard Bell PC's. I still have a Fast Media Remote for a Legend Tower PC. I am deciding to rebuild a Legend 822CDT with parts that I have. So far, I have the OFFICIAL MOTHERBOARD (PB600), Packard Bell Case with missing badges and stickers, and the two OFFICIAL hard drives.

Things I Need:
Pentium Black Sticker:
Photo: http://home.fuse.net/bobwatts/PackBellArtDeco.htm
Notice: It is located in the corner.

4x Panasonic CR-581-B:
Photo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pa...media_D160.jpg
Notice: The official Packard Bell CD Drive would say 4x

Official IDE Cables:
Photo: Not needed
Notice: I need to know the model of the IDE Cables

Sound Card:
Photo:http://www.pjcomputers.net/packardbellsrslabs138-mmsn834crystalcsa4231a-klisasoundcardmodem138mmsn834csa4231a-kl030073.aspx
Notice: I need the original sound card

P.S.: I am in the process of collecting other Vintage Packard Bell Items, that consist of Master CDs, Diskettes, Software, Full Computers, and Parts.

Regards for the Help,
Anuextreme117

EverythingIBM
January 26th, 2014, 11:36 PM
"Packard bell" soundcard:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-Bell-Aztech-ISA-16-bit-Audio-Sound-Card-138-MMSN811-w-Crystal-CS4231-KL-/181299942656?pt=US_Sound_Cards_Internal_&hash=item2a36519500

It's actually a rebaged reveal one. I have the same card without the packard bell branding (as PB rarely made their own peripherals). $12 is cheap enough for an OPL3 soundcard. You'll notice that Aztech used crappy electrolytic capacitors, so I would highly recommend replacing them with quality ones.

As for the pentium sticker, good luck. None of the sticker vendors I know of have NOS of those. The closest you'll get is this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-Inside-Sticker-18-x-21mm-Red-366-/110716394188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c7361acc

Anuextreme117
January 27th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Thank You, EverythingIBM, You helped me a lot. Finding that Sound Card was bit of a problem. Hope you can help me more.

Regards,
Anu

Anuextreme117
January 27th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Thank You EverthingIBM, finding that Sound Card was a bit of trouble.

Regards,
Anu

Maverick1978
January 27th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Man. Before I went through the trouble (and expense) of replacing 50 caps on a sound card, I think I'd just go get a better sound card. There are cheap alternatives to the Aztech that that are better cards than the Aztech (though overall it isn't THAT bad of a card, as compared to some of the noisy Sound Blasters of the time)

thepowermacgalaxy
January 27th, 2014, 01:12 PM
The official Packard Bell Aztec cards are pretty awful for midi support. Get a AWE card even if it is a "Value" card. Way better sound and well worth the extra money.

Anuextreme117
January 27th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Thank You, thepowermacgalaxy for your good help. I will look into the advice. I believe I might as well get the AWE 32 Version with the Ram Modules with extra performance.

EverythingIBM
January 28th, 2014, 02:19 AM
Man. Before I went through the trouble (and expense) of replacing 50 caps on a sound card, I think I'd just go get a better sound card. There are cheap alternatives to the Aztech that that are better cards than the Aztech (though overall it isn't THAT bad of a card, as compared to some of the noisy Sound Blasters of the time)

When you have to recap a whole analog synthesizer and five motherboards, a single sound card is nothing. Trust me. I recapped sound cards within like 20 minutes (5 minutes if they have less than a SB 16). And after that, they sound *great*. The soundblasters are largely noisy due to the capacitors, once you put proper filter caps, like Rubycon RX30s, the noise'll go away.
If you want to spend less time, you can always just recap the vitals, like the two main decoupling caps, or the ones near the amp.

Another reason for noise is the systemboard itself. Some computers just have noisy busses. My Pentium 1 has a quiet bus-- coupled with my recapped SB16, the sound output is *very* clean.

The official Packard Bell Aztec cards are pretty awful for midi support. Get a AWE card even if it is a "Value" card. Way better sound and well worth the extra money.

Actually the creative AWE cards generally lacked OPL3 (the AWE32s that did have OPL3, sound horrible for some reason: I'm still trying to figure out why)-- the AWE64 used CQM exclusively. And CQM sounds screechy-- the emulator in DOS Box does a better job.
AWE64s are great for compatibility, but I would have to go with the Aztech because I NEED MY OPL3!

EDIT: Well one reason for the AWE32s sounding bad is that creative didn't use 1000uF capacitors which the Philips amp states you must use in the spec sheet. That helps a bit. Creative just used 470uF like they usually do... and that's fine for some amps, but not all.

There's one card that I have which sounds unnaturally well filtered for CQM (an odd vibra with high quality caps that creative randomly threw on), but you can still get it to screech on specific tracks in adlib tracker 2.

Eep386
January 28th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Packard Bell cards often have genuine OPL3 too, and once they're set up properly they seem to have decent SB Pro 2.0 compatibility. Can't vouch for the MPU-401 MIDI port support though.

Watch out, some AWE cards *cough*CT3980*cough* have terrible output sections which generate all treble.

If you have a sound card with a TDA1517 amp, you may notice that the bean-counting pikers that made the card likely used 470uf caps near the speaker output. Change these to 1000uf - it will sound a bit better. (A datasheet for the TDA1517 indicated 1000uf caps for the amplified speaker output in its schematic, and a 2200uf cap elsewhere... I'll have to read it over again.)

Anuextreme117
January 28th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Thank You, Eep386

Maverick1978
January 28th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Man. Whatever happened to the days of just wrapping tinfoil around the card to help with the noise issues? ;)

OP, take a look - it's not the same model as yours, but I'd be willing to bet that some of the parts are the same. And the price is right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-Bell-Force-482-CDT-/291067125304

Anuextreme117
January 28th, 2014, 11:18 AM
It is very similar, but with lower specifications and a Hillary Board. Everything else looks about the same. Thanks Maverick1978. I might consider buying this Machine :)