PDA

View Full Version : Atari 520 ST software

ppcmini
January 30th, 2014, 06:40 PM
Hi
Someone gave me a 520 St with a few power suplies in the orignal box. It is a early 520 ST. Later tonight the rest is coming. Monitor and Disk drives but no software. Where can software be obtained? Thanks

lotonah
January 30th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Well, unless you buy software on floppy already, your best bet would probably be to obtain a old Windows machine with a floppy drive. Lots of images online, so download them on the Windows box, copy them to the floppy disk, then boot them on the Atari.

Keep in mind the early Atari drives were single-sided disks (360Kb), and later double-sided (720Kb). So copy the disks onto those types of disks, HD disks won't work.

Check out www.atarimania.com, it has a nice list of software and you can learn what program does what before

ppcmini
January 30th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Thanks foe the info. It came with two drives sf 314 and sf 354. The monitor is a sm124. The light on it shows green but is blank. The two floppy drves make a turning noise and the computer shows a red light when powered on. Should there be anything on the screen
when the computer turns on?

ppcmini
January 30th, 2014, 11:42 PM
After playing with it, the monitor has a early mac like screen with two floppy icon and trash. The mouse pointer just goes straight up. It is not Atari but Newidea mouse. The computer has been sitting for twenty years. The owner said something was wrong but could not remember.

SParent
January 31st, 2014, 03:05 AM
What exactly does the pointer:
1) moves right to the top even if you don't move the mouse
2) stays put, but when you move the mouse, it moves toward the top. If you stop moving the mouse, the pointer stops moving

I've never seen case 1, but I've seen case 2 two times, and both times it was a mouse cable problem (one wire was broken).

I also have several hundred ST disks. If you're interested, I could send you a hundred (mixed lot) for shipping.

vwestlife
January 31st, 2014, 04:40 AM
Thanks foe the info. It came with two drives sf 314 and sf 354.

The SF314 is a double-sided 720K drive and the SF354 is a single-sided 360K drive. If you format a 3.5" floppy disk to 720K in a PC it should be readable in the SF314 on the Atari. Using real double-density (not HD) disks is best, if you can't find any, tape over the media sensor hole in a 1.44 MB disk. If you're using Windows XP or newer, you'll have to force a 720K format by using the command FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9

Note that not all USB floppy drives can format a 720K disk, you may have to use a "real" floppy drive.

ppcmini
January 31st, 2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks

ppcmini
January 31st, 2014, 08:12 PM
pm'd you

g4ugm
February 2nd, 2014, 02:20 AM
What sort of software do you want?

Also original 520 with external PSU possibly valuable and interesting to Atari collector (not me!)

ppcmini
February 2nd, 2014, 09:45 AM
A problem showed up this morning. Eleven black bombs were on the screen. nothing else. Anyone know what this means?

SParent
February 2nd, 2014, 02:42 PM
A quick search on google shows it's most probably a hardware problem. Are you technically inclined? One of the first thing to do would be to open the computer and reseat all chips that are socketed.

ppcmini
February 4th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Took the computer apart. Pushed all the chips down. Put it back together.
No more bombs. Going to fing a mouse.

ppcmini
February 4th, 2014, 08:54 AM
No more bombs. Going to fing a mouse.

vwestlife
February 4th, 2014, 03:21 PM
No more bombs. Going to fing (find?) a mouse.

With a special driver, you can use an ordinary PC serial port mouse connected to the Atari's serial/modem port, as explained here:

http://www.atari.org/hosted/quickfaq/stfaq_3.htm#5

As a last resort, you can hold down the Alternate key and use the arrow keys to move the mouse pointer around the screen, and press Alr+Clr/Home to simulate a left-click.

ppcmini
February 4th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I will try that.
Thanks