PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a compaq

bluefever
February 2nd, 2014, 07:56 PM
I have a Compaq Presario 5441 that I use for older games (windows 98). I am now not getting any video out of the computer. I've tried different monitors, including known working ones. I also haven't noticed the drives cycling. The only thing recently I did involving opening it up was removing an ethernet card. I grounded myself out first. Have tried unplugging and replugging in cables on hd etc. to make sure they are tight. Still no luck!!!!

GottaLottaStuff
February 3rd, 2014, 07:08 AM
Is the hard drive spinning up? Is it AT or ATX? Check the motherboard and power supply for visibly blown or leaking capacitors.

SpidersWeb
February 3rd, 2014, 11:01 AM
It's ATX.

When you hit the power button - does anything at all happen? e.g. does the power light flash for half a second? does the fan spin?
If nothing is happening at all or it flickers for 0.5 seconds, I'd start by:

- check PSU is plugged in to motherboard securely, and the connector to the power switch on the front hasn't come loose.
- disconnecting drives / cards one by one
- unplug the power supply from the motherboard, and with a paper clip short the power on wire to ground (usually green but may need to look that up first) to see if it starts spinning the hard drive

I also found with my Presario, that mixing certain ISA/PCI cards would result in a no-start, but my hard drives would always spin. Different model but same generation.
I'm hoping yours is something simple like a bumped connector that's come loose.

bluefever
February 5th, 2014, 06:10 AM
the power supply itself fires up. and i'm pretty sure the fan does. It's just that I don't hear the drives cycling and it doesn't display any video. I've tried several different monitors even one I know for a fact works.

tcpf429
February 6th, 2014, 11:10 AM
A computer that gave me this problem had a bad PSU. Check voltages, in addition to what SpidersWeb suggested.