PDA

View Full Version : TI Boxes... what gives?

geoffm3
February 3rd, 2014, 07:13 AM
In my years of collecting old computer stuff, I've noticed that up until very recently, you were almost guaranteed to get a TI 99/4A with the box than without... compare this to most other machines of the same vintage... and very few of those will include the box. I wonder what the deal is? Has anyone else ever noticed this?

curtis
February 3rd, 2014, 07:21 AM
Simple, TI boxes fit better under the bed than most others! At least that's what I would assume.

In my years of collecting old computer stuff, I've noticed that up until very recently, you were almost guaranteed to get a TI 99/4A with the box than without... compare this to most other machines of the same vintage... and very few of those will include the box. I wonder what the deal is? Has anyone else ever noticed this?

SomeGuy
February 3rd, 2014, 07:42 AM
Another factor is that towards the end TI was basically dumping the consoles on the market. So people were somewhat more likely to buy a cheap TI, and then quickly resign it to the attic before they would have otherwise purged the boxes.

And yea, the boxes fit great under a bed or on a top shelf in a closet and were useful for storing other stuff :)

Compgeke
February 3rd, 2014, 12:45 PM
While I don't have any TI machines, I have noticed that the nice small Commodore boxes seem to have been retained with the systems I have. I have two boxed VIC-20s and a boxed Plus/4, all of which I found interesting that the original packing materials (and manuals and such) got retained.

Maybe the key is make smaller packaging, it'll increase your item value in 25 years.

geoffm3
February 3rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
Simple, TI boxes fit better under the bed than most others! At least that's what I would assume.

I guess that's true. It's certainly true of my Coleco ADAM box!

telengard
February 5th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I guess that's true. It's certainly true of my Coleco ADAM box!

Ain't that the truth! I just got an Adam last week and it was at least 3 times larger than I was expecting. Absolutely gargantuan box!