PDA

View Full Version : Okay not my usual eBay ranting - anyone watch Law and Order?

Shadow Lord
February 11th, 2014, 07:02 AM
So I finally gave in and subscribed to Netflix not impressed with the content (or quality) but one thing they do have is all 15 seasons of Law and Order. I started watching from S1:E1 and what struck me was the prevalence of IBM computers. Most of the time you see PS/2s but I've seen quite a few incidents of 5160s, 5170s with the proper KBs. Interestingly in one episode there was what was a clear close up of a 5160 with the badge removed but in other episodes you can see the IBM badge on the case and/or KBs. It was definitely a reflection of the times. Just as now all you see are Apple computers being used as props. I wonder when the turning point came in popular culture to switch props...

krebizfan
February 11th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Not so much a change in culture as a change in corporate sales and marketing. IBM did product placement all through the 80s and early 90s until ending the program in a misguided attempt at cost control; of course, Compaq on a smaller scale was doing the same. The forgettable Bruce Willis vehicle Blind Date (1986) was kitted out with lots of Compaq systems and that was when Compaq was still tiny. Probably cemented Compaq's position as the serious challenger to IBM for business. IBM stopped doing it while Apple went racing to supply the cool characters with properly cool Apple hardware. I think collectively all the Macs supplied to Seinfeld for display on screen cost less than a single 30 second spot.

Shadow Lord
February 11th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Yep, I remember the TAM proudly displayed on Seinfeld...