PDA

View Full Version : My new toy: USB Microscope

ChrisCwmbran
February 12th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Yesterday I got myself a USB Microscope.

I've written a little write up on it here:

http://www.micromuseum.co.uk/index.php/restoration-blog/115-restoration-equipment-the-usb-microscope

I think it's very good, and I think similar devices might help some of you guys too! Please take a look!

Rick Ethridge
February 12th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Transferred to pdf. Thanks!

Malc
February 13th, 2014, 12:22 AM
I've had my eye on this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Veho-VMS-004-Deluxe-USB-Microscope-Brand-new-/190325233466?ssPageName=STORE:HTMLBUILDER:SIMPLEIT EM&refid=store) one for a while, Looks like a very usefull tool, Beats using a magnifying glass.

Thanks

ChrisCwmbran
February 13th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Looks like exactly the same unit Malc. I guess we know where Maplin get theirs made by the look of it!

Malc
February 13th, 2014, 01:54 AM
Veho have a unit not far from me but they don't allow collections but i'll be getting one sooner or later, They do an 800x one too, not sure what to go for yet.

ChrisCwmbran
February 13th, 2014, 02:07 AM
Personally if you look at the last couple of pictures in the report where I show the VGA connector I think 400x is enough. I wonder if the 800x is a bit overkill?

My main real criticism is that the stand is a bit short if anything - but overall I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Ole Juul
February 13th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Veho have a unit not far from me but they don't allow collections but i'll be getting one sooner or later, They do an 800x one too, not sure what to go for yet.
Don't forget that the quality of a microscope is judged by the quality of its optics. Usually you don't need as high a magnification if the optics are better. Look through a high quality lab scope and compare to the standard student models, and you'll see what I mean. Anyway, 800x is getting into oil immersion territory, so probably not a good idea for this category of device. The long wavelength of visible light also starts to impose problems as you get into higher magnifications.

Malc
February 13th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Many Thanks, I'll stick to the 400x as you say 800x probably not a good idea for what i'll be using it for.