PDA

View Full Version : 21MB Floptical Driver - FMTFLOPT.EXE > Ver 1.04

IBM Portable PC
February 13th, 2014, 01:44 AM
I've just obtained a 21MB Floptical drive, however the driver (FMTFLOPT.EXE Ver 1.04) appears to require DOS 5 or earlier?

Having said that, I can format and boot from 1.44MB floppies on my Tandy 1000 without loading any drivers, the SCSI card BIOS and/or PCDOS 7 appears to handle everything.

If someone has a version of FMTFLOPT.EXE newer than 1.04 I'd be interested.........

modem7
February 13th, 2014, 02:23 AM
1.04 only appears to work with DOS 5 or below.......
It took me three reads of your post before I understood what it was you were trying to communicate.
Shouldn't your post be in the 'wanted' genre?

IBM Portable PC
February 13th, 2014, 02:41 AM
Sorry, I was rushing. I've added some other information I wanted to share apart from chasing a later version of the driver.

Cloudschatze
February 13th, 2014, 09:14 AM
1.04 is likely the final version. It seems like it ought to work with DOS 6.x though. Does it work properly when run as a stand-alone utility? There's not much to be gained by running it as a driver, it seems, other than being able to use the native DOS format command.

IBM Portable PC
February 13th, 2014, 12:06 PM
1.04 is likely the final version. It seems like it ought to work with DOS 6.x though. Does it work properly when run as a stand-alone utility? There's not much to be gained by running it as a driver, it seems, other than being able to use the native DOS format command.

Yes, it works fine; format /s, copy and booting!

IIRC MSDOS/PCDOS did support these natively, probably from version 5 or 6 onward. Obviously PCDOS 7 does as it's working.......

orion24
February 13th, 2014, 12:42 PM
You can try SETVER in config.sys to fool programs, making them think you run DOS 5

IBM Portable PC
February 13th, 2014, 01:01 PM
You can try SETVER in config.sys to fool programs, making them think you run DOS 5

Ah yes, I forgot about this........

IBM Portable PC
February 13th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Anyone tried to format LS-120 disks as 21MB disks in a Floptical drive?

It seems to me they must be somewhat similar although technical documents are hard to come by.

I'll give it a try, however I suspect I'll need to carve/drill a notch in the LS120 to make it physically look like a Floptical, anyone know what/where the notch is?

k2x4b524[
February 17th, 2014, 01:11 AM
Travesty :cool:

Anyone tried to format LS-120 disks as 21MB disks in a Floptical drive?

It seems to me they must be somewhat similar although technical documents are hard to come by.

I'll give it a try, however I suspect I'll need to carve/drill a notch in the LS120 to make it physically look like a Floptical, anyone know what/where the notch is?