PDA

View Full Version : Was this worth $100?

Gribnitz
February 15th, 2014, 03:16 PM
What do you think?

5150 IBM PC
5153 CGA Monitor
5152 Dot Matrix Printer
Model F Keyboard

I saw it working, but haven't set it up at home yet. You don't see them in boxes very often....or ever.

wesleyfurr
February 15th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I don't keep up with 5150 prices...but considering it's in boxes and all, sounds like a good deal to me! Does it look as good as the boxes would make you think it might?

Congrats on the find!

Wesley

Chuckster_in_Jax
February 15th, 2014, 04:46 PM
You got one hell of a deal!!!!!

NeXT
February 15th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Last time I was looking up prices for boxed 5150's the going rate was around $1000 but that was in 2010.

Shadow Lord
February 15th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Last time I was looking up prices for boxed 5150's the going rate was around $1000 but that was in 2010.

Yep you ripped someone off ;). All kidding aside even not working that is a GREAT deal...

orion24
February 16th, 2014, 02:25 AM
What do you think?

5150 IBM PC
5153 CGA Monitor
5152 Dot Matrix Printer
Model F Keyboard

I saw it working, but haven't set it up at home yet. You don't see them in boxes very often....or ever.

I bought a non working 5150 board for $50 alone

Gribnitz
February 16th, 2014, 09:56 AM
I set it up today, with the exception of the printer, and it all works wonderfully! WooHoo! A pretty nice deal. I made a video of this one as I took it out of the box, set it up, and ran a few programs. I had a little heart droop when I first powered it on because I got nothing. Then I realized I had the brightness turned all the way down and it registered in my brain that the 5150 didn't have the memory count test on power up :) I have an XT and AT and totally forgot the PC had this quirk. Now I just need to find and figure out how to work a video editor :(

tezza
February 16th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Well done. At $100 that's a steal!

Tez

SomeGuy
February 16th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Was that a local pickup deal for you? If so, then holy heck, it was as good as a "$0.99" (+$99.01 SH!) eBay deal.

And hook up that printer! There are reports waiting to be printed!! :)

Gribnitz
February 16th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Yes. Local find on Craigslist. The guy didn't get a call for 3 days, then had 5 within a couple hours. Luckily I was the first. I made a video, so now I am famous :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa2r5F_Tq2E

Gribnitz
February 16th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Was that a local pickup deal for you? If so, then holy heck, it was as good as a "$0.99" (+$99.01 SH!) eBay deal.

And hook up that printer! There are reports waiting to be printed!! :)

Heh, no paper. The light on the printer turns on though :)

Can you even buy that perforated printer paper anymore?

SpidersWeb
February 16th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Yep, you can still get the continous-feed paper. I have a fresh box of plain white at home. You can still feed in some sheets of plain paper one at a time for testing though.

I'd take a guess the ribbon would've dried up and will need replacing / reinking - but worth a shot to see if it prints (or tries to). Even if you do not use this for printing, it is worth while to keep around - the noise produced by this unit is very good at deterring people with hangovers, children, and small animals.

SomeGuy
February 16th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Many businesses use dot matrix printers to produce multi-part forms. Office Depot sells multi-part and regular continuous form paper, as well as printer ribbons for some printers. If I recall correctly, they even had one on the store shelf that should fit a 5152, which is a rebadged Epson MX-80.

SGTSQUID
February 16th, 2014, 07:18 PM
It's nice if you can find someone local who doesn't want to deal with shipping. About 2 years ago I got a 5150A with monitor and software (including DOS 1.0 and 2.0) for $150. The guy said he knew it was worth a lot more but they were moving to a new office and didn't have time to deal with ebay and shipping. Let us know some more details about it for those of us who are bandwidth limited and can't do YouTube.

luvit
February 16th, 2014, 07:28 PM
you got a crazy good deal, my friend.
i live in an area where craigslist is used for getting parts to jack-up your truck.
everything i need has to be shipped or it's hours worth of driving.

paul
February 16th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Nice catch, Gribnitz! Mine cost the same (12 years ago!) and came in original boxes too but I got the MDA graphics instead of that much nicer EGA setup. Let us know what's inside!

Maverick1978
February 16th, 2014, 10:35 PM
@Gribnitz, you got a heckuva deal. The keyboard will reach the $60-$80 range many times, unboxed/used. The 5153 and 5150 will vary... yeah. Good deal.

@SGTSQUID, $150 a year ago for DOS 1.0? At that time, I was seeing a few copies go for upwards of $800 USD on ebay...crazy stuff.

Shadow Lord
February 16th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Heh, no paper. The light on the printer turns on though :)

Can you even buy that perforated printer paper anymore?

Yes staples, for cheap too.... Printer will not work without paper in place so get some and test it out!

mojorific
February 18th, 2014, 09:53 AM
So so so so so so so very lucky.

It looks so nice and clean, and it all works! What a fantastic find.

I'm extremely jealous.

Springbok
February 19th, 2014, 05:49 AM
You're a lucky SOB. I contacted that guy and he said he just sold it. I offered him $125 and offered to pay for shipping.

Gribnitz
February 19th, 2014, 04:54 PM
You're a lucky SOB. I contacted that guy and he said he just sold it. I offered him $125 and offered to pay for shipping.

HA! He did say he did not get a call for 3 days, then got 4 replies in one day and I was first. He mentioned a guy wanting him to ship it, but he wasn't about to do that. Now it's all mine...muahahahah!

Gribnitz
February 19th, 2014, 04:55 PM

HA! He did say he did not get a call for 3 days, then got 4 replies in one day and I was first. He mentioned a guy wanting him to ship it, but he wasn't about to do that. Now it's all mine...muahahahah!

billdeg
February 19th, 2014, 05:44 PM
$500 would be typical for this. good fer ye !

bettablue
February 19th, 2014, 07:37 PM
I would say you got a great deal. When I bought my IBM 5150 system it too was in the original boxes. The only real difference is that I paid $200.00 for mine. Since then though, I have added a beautifully kept IBM 5161 expansion unit, IBM 5152 printer and a MicroSolutions Backpack to read and write 3.5" 1.44 MB floppy discs. And later I bought an AST Six Pack Plus card for the cost of shipping. This system is now the centerpiece of my small vintage computer collection.

I've attached a photo of mine for you to look at.

Nice find, especially for the price!

What do you think?

5150 IBM PC
5153 CGA Monitor
5152 Dot Matrix Printer
Model F Keyboard

Springbok
February 20th, 2014, 05:32 AM

Well,

It's not all bad.

For $150, I picked up a 5150 with mono CGA display, model F KB, printer, original boxes, a BUNCH of software, and original sales receipt. The owner is an ex IBM employee.

Will try to post some pics this weekend.

Springbok
February 20th, 2014, 05:33 AM

Well,

It's not all bad.

For $150, I picked up a 5150 with mono CGA display, model F KB, printer, original boxes, a BUNCH of software, and original sales receipt. The owner is an ex IBM employee.

Will try to post some pics this weekend.

CJ8281
February 25th, 2014, 10:58 AM
That is a cool find indeed. I have a 5160 that I bought at a yard sale for $5. It is the first version with only 256k of ram. I am in the process of adding a SCSI card and 40mb SCSI hard drive to it. I have an old 286 that someone stole the bios chips out of that I want to use to "upgrade" mine to 640K of ram.
Right now I have a Commodore 1541 disk drive on eBay. It looks new and is in the original packaging. I know it is way cool to find stuff in the original packing.

spectrumwilliams
June 20th, 2014, 07:06 AM
WOW...a steal. Enjoyed watching your video too!