PDA

View Full Version : CP/M on ADC Super Six - a few questions

Mal
February 16th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I have an ADC Super Six that came with two 5.25 inch system disks.

According to the boot messages, I have:

Monitor Version 3.6, January - 1984
Super Bios v. 2.4
60K CP/M 2.2

Neither disk has SYSGEN or STAT on it (and these commands therefore don't work).

Here are the directories of my two disks:

"CPM Booter, System Disk"

A: CPM SYS : CPM5588 SYS : CPM60 COM : CPMZ SYS
A: DDT COM : FMT548 COM : FMT596 COM : FMT8 COM
A: L80 COM : LDRGEN COM : LINKM83 COM : LOAD COM
A: M83 COM : MODEM COM : NSWP COM : TRK0 LDR
A: TRK048 LDR : TRK096 LDR

"System Generator, Bios files"

A: CPM SYS : 1200BAUD COM : 2400BAUD COM : 9600BAUD COM
A: FMT548 COM : FMT596 COM : FMT8 COM : LDRBDOS MAC
A: LDRDBIOS MAC : LDRGEN COM : LDRGEN MAC : LINKM83 COM
A: LOAD COM : LODRBIOS MAC : M83 COM : MAC COM
A: NEWRAM : READBAUD COM : SBCBOOT MAC : SBCDBOOT MAC
A: SUPRBIOS LIB : SUPRBIOS MAC : SWEEP COM : TRK0 LDR
A: TRK048 LDR : TRK096 LDR : XD COM : Z80 LIB

My questions are:

Am I missing the STAT.COM file, or did ADC use a different utility (perhaps NSWP.COM)?
Do the various FMT*.COM utilities replace SYSGEN.COM, or do I also need to find SYSGEN.COM?
Did ADC produce a user manual or other documentation for its distribution of CP/M 2.2? I've not been able to find anything except a few ".DOC" files in various ADC-related ZIP files on the web. I'd like to get a better understanding of some of these files such as SWEEP.COM, M83.COM and NSWP.COM.

Thanks.

MicrocomputerSolutions
February 17th, 2014, 11:26 AM
It's been at least 25 years since I've seen a running ADC Super Six based system, but this is what I remember. There was a Supplement Manual or pages printed by ADC that explained how their version of CPM worked.

You may be missing a utilities disk. Seems to me like the original ADC CPM disk set was more than two 5.25" disks. More like six or twelve disks.

Most versions of CPM made for advanced S-100 boards work in a similar fashion. It appears that there are multiple pre-generated/assembled versions of CPM on your two discs. When the OS is too big to fit on the Boot Tracks, a basic primitive loader is provided, that after loading, directs the system to load the rest of the OS, which is located off the boot tracks.

The working version of the OS is named CPM.SYS. On the System disk you have three pre-generated systems ( CPM5588 SYS, CPM60 COM, CPMZ SYS). Set up for different hardware or configurations. One will be the same as the CPM.SYS.

You have three loader primitives pre-generated: (TRK0 LDR, TRK048 LDR, TRK096 LDR). There is a program to move the LDR file of your choice onto the boot track of the disk that you want to make bootable. My guess is that it is LDRGEN.COM.

You have three format programs, two for 5.25" disks (FMT548.COM and FMT596.COM) and one 8" disk format program (FMT8.COM).

So, first you need to format the disk using the right format program (FMT548, FMT596 or FMT8), then install the correct LDR (my guess is TK0.LDR for 8" drives, TK548.LDR for 5.25" 48TPI drives, and TK596.LDR for 5.25" 96TPI drives), using the LDRGEN program, and lastly move a copy of the system file that you are going to use to the target disk/drive, and name it CPM.SYS.

kyeakel
February 17th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I do not have the board, but over the weekend I was given a number of super six 8" floppies. One of them has similar contents to the first disk directory you've listed. Later this week, I'll see what else might be on them.

Kipp

kyeakel
February 17th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I do not have the board, but over the weekend I was given a number of super six 8" floppies. One of them has similar contents to the first disk directory you've listed. Later this week, I'll see what else might be on them.

Kipp

Ps this 30 second timer thing sucks.

new_castle_j
February 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM
In case you haven't came across this resource yet, there are some ADC files available from Rlee Peter's archive here: http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/cpm/Software/rlee/A/ADVANCED%20DIGITAL/
The READFRST.DOC from the archive confirms what poster MicrocomputerSolutions was saying.

As an added bonus, looks like you can also run TurboDOS with the Super Six!

kyeakel
February 18th, 2014, 01:37 PM
What I have is cpm 3, on the 8 inch disks. One of them has a 3sysgen.com file on it, not that it helps you on cpm 2.2.

Kipp

Mal
February 20th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the responses - very helpful. I'll have some time this weekend to experiment with formatting and putting the LDR and CPM.SYS files on blank disks.

I've made some good progress on the hardware side this week. The FDC PLL adjustments were out (making it impossible to boot reliably/repeatedly). Some work with the DSO seems to have fixed this. And the "Motor On" one-shot was only staying on for 180 uSec (instead of 15 sec) due to a faulty CD4098. I initially suspected the tantalum timing capacitor, but it checked out fine. Turned out that the CMOS chip was faulty, which surprised me as it doesn't have any external (off-board) connections.

My board also came with four 8 inch disks (only one is a factory original - the others are copies). Until this week I didn't have a workable 8-inch setup for imaging/copying 8" disks, and I didn't want to use my "originals" directly on the Super Six in case they start shedding oxide. But I've now got a reliable setup for imaging/writing 8-inch disks, so that problem is solved. I've imaged and then copied my 8" disks over to 3.5" HD format (spinning at non-standard 360RPM, to emulate an 8" drive) and I can now boot the 8" media on these 3.5" drives.... which is much more convenient for having this on the dining table for working on during the evening! Also means that the whole system (Super Six and two drives) all run off a single 5v supply.

I will post my 5" and 8" disk images (in both Catweasel/DMK and ImageDisk/IMD format) if anyone is interested.

I've searched for the ADC "Supplemental Manual" without success. If anyone has this documentation, it would be great to get access to it.

Lots more questions to follow!

Cheers.

Mal
February 22nd, 2014, 04:49 PM
Well, I can now format and make bootable CP/M disks in both 5.25 and 8" formats.

I've hit a snag though. I've not been able to transfer files (in XMODEM or YMODEM format etc) between the S6 and the PC. I have ADC's "MODEM.COM" program but it fails to start transfers, even when the PC sends a NAK as per the XMODEM protocol. I've spent a few hours on this, and I am still clueless as to why this isn't working.

What's the easiest way to transfer files between a PC and the S6, preferably in batch mode? Is there a S6 version of Kermit available? If so, does anyone know of an IMD image that I could download?

Other suggestions are very welcome - It sounds like 22DISK might also be an option for transferring files, but I'd prefer an over-the-wire method.

MicrocomputerSolutions
February 24th, 2014, 08:43 AM
The two ways that I've found easiest to transfer files from one format to another are:

#1 a format changing program on a S-100 system used to read one 5.25" or 8" floppy disk, and transfer the contains to another 5.25" or 8" floppy disk. There were a couple of companies that offered floppy disk controller boards, AND/OR software that allow an S-100 System to read mulitiple file formats and write a different file format back onto another disk formatted for use on another computer.

#2 in the case of going from another computer format to a PC compatible 5.25" or 8" format, Compupro offered a ArcNet based Network scheme which worked with S-100 ArcNet boards, PC based ArcNet cards, and hybrid, passive, and active hubs that they sold.

Back then modems were too slow (300-9600 baud), and xferring from computer to computer using xmodem (no more than 19.2K) was also too slow for my taste.

kyeakel
February 24th, 2014, 10:49 AM
This is interesting, I had been trying to get John Monahan's PCGET and PCPUT to work in my Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1 using the comm board from him and Andrew (N8VEM). I can see the 1st block sent from the DPS-1 to the PC but I never get another one. It then times out. I thought this might be that PC terminal programs don't implement the xmodem protocol in the original format, but I tried absolute terminal which John recommends and it didn't work either. I haven't had time to look into the timing or to verify that the data I get is really what was sent. I am planning on trying a modem directly connected to the pc and see if that will work. Until then I use 22disk to copy programs over to the disk directly, that works like a charm.

Kipp

Mal
March 23rd, 2014, 06:33 PM
Just an update to let you know that I've managed to get XMODEM transfers to/from the Super Six.

The problem ended up being very obvious - I was expecting the transfer to work over the terminal COM port (where my laptop was connected). Of course MODEM.COM expects the XMODEM transfers to be occuring over the other COM port. Once I got that sorted, and figured out how to change baud rates on the second COM port, transfers using TeraTerm on the PC worked just fine.

Now time to download some applications and start playing!