PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5140 power button not work

Giuseppe
February 19th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Hi, i have an IBM 5140 that doesn't work. I think that the cause is the power button, because at the first start up it bipps and turned on the floppy's light, but then the button is gone locked. When then i unlocked the button, the computer doesn't make any bipps and doesn't work, no sign of life. How can i do to make it work? If it is the power button, can i make anything? Thanks

modem7
February 22nd, 2014, 12:28 PM
Which of the following three IBM options for the 5140 are you using to power your 5140 ?

1. AC Adapter (100-240 Vac), 40W
2. Battery Charger, 3W (charges the battery only - does not power 5140 itself)
3. Automobile Adapter, 38W

(Reference: pages B-24 and B-25 of the 5140 technical reference)

modem7
February 22nd, 2014, 12:31 PM
Hi, i have an IBM 5140 that doesn't work. I think that the cause is the power button, because at the first start up it bipps and turned on the floppy's light, but then the button is gone locked. When then i unlocked the button, the computer doesn't make any bipps and doesn't work, no sign of life.
Your English is good, but "then the button is gone locked" does not make sense to me. What do you mean by "locked"?

For any VCF members with a 5140, do you know what Giuseppe is writing of?

Giuseppe
February 24th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Sory for my English, but Now the IBM work. I have a problem because i don't have the BASIC (only DOS 3.30) and i don't know the version of BASIC. what is the version and where can i find it?

Giuseppe
February 24th, 2014, 05:16 AM
AC adapter

Giuseppe
February 24th, 2014, 08:47 AM
How to run application selector?

TNC
February 24th, 2014, 12:16 PM
What do you mean by "locked"?

Maybe he means that the button got stuck. When he presses the power button, the machine beeps and the floppy led is glowing and somehow the button gets stucked in that position. When he gets the button unstuck the 5140 loses power and is powered off.

modem7
February 24th, 2014, 11:03 PM
Sory for my English, but Now the IBM work. I have a problem because i don't have the BASIC (only DOS 3.30) and i don't know the version of BASIC. what is the version and where can i find it?
The computer has BASIC built in (in a ROM on the motherboard). The 5140 technical manual includes, "is accessed internally by the bootstrap routine when a diskette is not in drive A at power on and the F1 key has been pressed."

modem7
February 24th, 2014, 11:09 PM
How to run application selector?
There is no application selector. You put DOS programs (applications) onto the DOS boot diskette. When you boot from the boot diskette, you will see an "A:" prompt on the screen, and then you run a program from that prompt.

Giuseppe
February 25th, 2014, 03:08 AM
The computer has BASIC built in (in a ROM on the motherboard). The 5140 technical manual includes, "is accessed internally by the bootstrap routine when a diskette is not in drive A at power on and the F1 key has been pressed."
Thanks

Giuseppe
February 25th, 2014, 03:19 AM
thanks to everyone for availability. the computer works, but sometimes the contact of the display does not work (slight problem). I've DOS 3.30, I used BASIC, but I know that there is a program made for the 5140 called "application selector". someone has a link to download it?