PDA

View Full Version : strange XT Motherboard with 286 CPU

diodenmann
February 25th, 2014, 06:38 AM
I came across an ebay auction with this motherboard.
Unfortunately the seller was not very cooperative with shipping modalities and providing information, then it disappeared :(
I wonder what the purpose of this invention was.

krebizfan
February 25th, 2014, 07:25 AM
The purpose of most of those 286XT motherboards was to replace the motherboard of a genuine XT with something faster without having to get approval of purchasing for a new computer. Lack of 16-bit slots and often lack of extended memory left them with a short useful life but could still double or even triple the performance of an XT. Replacing motherboard was often easier and more compatible than the various CPU replacement methods.

geoffm3
February 25th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Yep, and bare in mind that replacing ISA cards at the time was a non-trivial expense like it is today in a lot of cases.

SpidersWeb
February 25th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Here in NZ a local company shipped a lot of these based off the Wavemate 286E / Bullet286 motherboards. The goal was "AT performance at XT prices".
They compensated for performance and feature losses - they shipped them with HD-FDC cards, PerformancePCs DiskCache in ROM, and a RTC card.

One of mine is dead - suspect cracked trace - too lazy to find
The other one is fine until it boots - then it goes crazy - I'll get around to installing a normal BIOS at some point

I've never seen that model before though, and 1990, you'd think AT parts would be cheap by then - guess not!