PDA

View Full Version : Does someone have any infos about a "Seagate SL-02" SCSI Controller (8 Bit ISA card)

z80eu
February 25th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I would really appreciate it if someone can post some more info about a "Seagate SL-02" SCSI Controller (made around 1990). Perhaps it is a "successor" card of a ST-02, but Google does not give me *any* hint about it...

z80eu
February 26th, 2014, 10:32 PM
In fact, it was a ST-02, not a SL-02 (it wasn't really easy readable for the one who told me that).
Meanwhile I have the card and I managed it to format a SCSI drive also, but I have some trouble with using the floppy controller part.
I am using a IBM PC 5160 (XT) and wanted to use also 3.5" HD floppy drives - that's the reason the above mentioned ST-02 came in mind.
At the moment, I am only able to use 720K drives or 1.44MB drives in 720K mode, but I am not able to use it as a 1.44MB drive, and I have no idea why I can't.
Instead of using DRIVERS.SYS or DRIVPARM, I took "800.COM", a BIOS extension (TSR) program, which worked in the past without problems.

modem7
February 27th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Welcome to these forums.

but I have some trouble with using the floppy controller part.
I am using a IBM PC 5160 (XT) and wanted to use also 3.5" HD floppy drives - that's the reason the above mentioned ST-02 came in mind.
At the moment, I am only able to use 720K drives or 1.44MB drives in 720K mode, but I am not able to use it as a 1.44MB drive, and I have no idea why I can't.
The text that I can see in the ST02 BIOS [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/rom/rom.htm)] is all about SCSI. I cannot see anything in relation to the floppy interface. So perhaps with the ST02 fitted, you are at the mercy of the floppy support in the motherboard BIOS.

None of the three revisions of 5160 BIOS has 1.44M support.

I took "800.COM", a BIOS extension (TSR) program, which worked in the past without problems.
2M-XBIOS would have probably worked as well.

z80eu
February 27th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Welcome to these forums.

The text that I can see in the ST02 BIOS [here (http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/rom/rom.htm)] is all about SCSI. I cannot see anything in relation to the floppy interface. So perhaps with the ST02 fitted, you are at the mercy of the floppy support in the motherboard BIOS.

None of the three revisions of 5160 BIOS has 1.44M support.

2M-XBIOS would have probably worked as well.

The table you mentioned is not complete (in sense of possible integrated floppy interfaces).
I had no success with "800.COM".
But I had success with 2M-XBIOS, it worked well - I am now able to use High Density floppy disks with my XT.