PDA

View Full Version : Otrona Attache software on disk

schreibstang
February 26th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I wondered if anybody needed software for their Attache, and being a fairly rare machine, it's not easy to come by. These are some of the programs I have and can copy to Attache format disks.

Attache software disk with CP/M 2.2.5, WordStar 3.00, Multiplan 1.05, Charton, MBASIC-80.
Turbo Pascal 2.00, Turbo Toolbox, Fortran-80 3.42, dBase 2.4
Mycroft Labs Compat 1.0 (convert disks to various other formats)
Hayes Crosstalk 2.04, BD Software C Link
Compression and directory utilities
3 disks of games and some interesting BASIC files

Message me for a full list (still working on finishing it). $5 for each disk I make, including media and postage. If you send me your own media then it'll cost less. :)

I've got a similar box of disks for the Kaypro II…but I won't get into that yet. XD

Bill_Loguidice
March 2nd, 2014, 07:01 AM
I got rid of two Otrona Attache's a few years back because they had the typical blown something or the other. It's a shame that the Attaches are so incredibly unreliable, because they're dynamite looking machines.

RW5057
July 11th, 2015, 12:29 PM
I would be interested in getting a cpm boot disk. I may be interested in more but I would want to see if my attache still boots first.

griffk
July 12th, 2015, 04:12 PM
I'll PM you too, but on the off chance, do you have the Otrona Diagnostic Utlity disk? I have a bad copy, and have never been able to replace it..

tx,
gwk

Brillig
October 30th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Is this thread dead? I have an Otrona Attache but no software and I'd be very interested in obtaining floppies.

inotarobot
November 13th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Hello all,

I use to service Otrona Attache's both the cpm versions and the even rarer msdos version.

Sadly threw out a some motherboards and NOS cases a few years back.

Kept 1 or 2 machines, but they have not been powered up for years.

One simple problem, they had internal button batteries for a cmos chip. Lot of issues were the battery aged and leaked, etc etc, as I sure you know what I mean.

Remove the 2 rear brown feet ( screws hold them on), and carefully slide the insides out of case or case off the outside of the innards.

There are somewhat fragile beryllium copper flexible fingers that are mounted on the inside of machine. They are what makes contact with the outer case as part of the electrical shielding. So as you slide of the outer cover, gently rock the case as you slide it.

Locate batteries, remove with care, NOTE the polarity orientation and clean the battery holder. Plenty of advice on web about doing this type of cleaning.

Replace batteries and good luck.

Worst case is you may need to replace the button battery holder with some new one. That will require desoldering the corroded one and soldering in a replacement.

As to software and the service documentation, I don't believe I threw any of that out, but it going to be hunt in my storage area to locate it.

And that I sorry may take a few weeks.

inotarobot
November 13th, 2015, 11:44 AM
I got rid of two Otrona Attache's a few years back because they had the typical blown something or the other. It's a shame that the Attaches are so incredibly unreliable, because they're dynamite looking machines.

Surprising you say they were so incredibly unreliable.

They were my first computer with disks (floppy) and eventually external HD storage.

Mine worked for years without issue, except for regular floppy drive head cleaning, and changing the cmos battery every few years.

I made sure I always used high quality floppies and never used cheap ones or ones that had been mechanically damaged.

I upgraded my machine from 48tpi to 96tpi floppy drives and did heaps of work using Wordstar and Supercalc.

Also ran a over priced Printed Circuit Board design program on the machine.

Yes I grant Otrona did use various brands of Floppy drives and I have heard cases of some machines not reading floppies written well by other Otrona's.
That came down to drive alignment.

inotarobot
November 13th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Is this thread dead? I have an Otrona Attache but no software and I'd be very interested in obtaining floppies.

hi there,

Also you can try here.

http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/otrona/index.html

Brillig
November 16th, 2015, 06:22 AM
hi there,

Also you can try here.

http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/otrona/index.html

Thank you, I appreciate the link. My problem is getting the physical disks, however (I don't have a means of loading disk images to the Attache). Does anyone else do that sort of copy work? I'm guessing OP doesn't come around the forums much anymore.

inotarobot
November 18th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Thank you, I appreciate the link. My problem is getting the physical disks, however (I don't have a means of loading disk images to the Attache). Does anyone else do that sort of copy work? I'm guessing OP doesn't come around the forums much anymore.

Hi,
You say you don't have anyway of loading a disk image to disk. There are a few ways to resolve this.

a. the extremely easy way and hope someone with a running Otrona will make you a copy.

b. Get hold of an older PC with a 5 1/4'' floopy drive running windows. Add a free disk cloning/copying software to it and make your own boot disk. That would need to be software that is capable of writing a disk image to disk, so the boot track is laid down correctly.

c. There was a way using the Otrona and a modem in 'Terminal' Diagnostic mode, but been years since I did that.

I have not powered up any of my remaining Otrona, for at least 4 years, as there 'deep' in storage.

Most likely it would be at least next week, before I could get to one and bring it home to power up. I have to think which crate/box all the floppies are in.

Other problem is are you wanting 48tpi boot floppy or 96tpi boot floppy ?

If I recall correctly, most machines with 96tpi drives, used lower height drives that the original 48tpi Remex ones; but not always. This left a gap between the drives that a blank plate was fitted.

Other issue is I am not sure if I have any blank floppies.

regards
David

Brillig
November 18th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Hi,
You say you don't have anyway of loading a disk image to disk. There are a few ways to resolve this.

a. the extremely easy way and hope someone with a running Otrona will make you a copy.

b. Get hold of an older PC with a 5 1/4'' floopy drive running windows. Add a free disk cloning/copying software to it and make your own boot disk. That would need to be software that is capable of writing a disk image to disk, so the boot track is laid down correctly.

c. There was a way using the Otrona and a modem in 'Terminal' Diagnostic mode, but been years since I did that.

I have not powered up any of my remaining Otrona, for at least 4 years, as there 'deep' in storage.

Most likely it would be at least next week, before I could get to one and bring it home to power up. I have to think which crate/box all the floppies are in.

Other problem is are you wanting 48tpi boot floppy or 96tpi boot floppy ?

If I recall correctly, most machines with 96tpi drives, used lower height drives that the original 48tpi Remex ones; but not always. This left a gap between the drives that a blank plate was fitted.

Other issue is I am not sure if I have any blank floppies.

regards
David

Hello David,

Unfortunately options b. and c. are closed to me. I don't have access to a Windows machine with a 5 1/4" drive and I don't really have a way to hook the machine up to a modem. I work for a small microcomputer museum in Virginia with limited resources and I was hoping disks would be available to purchase online. We're trying to get the Attache running for an exhibit in early December.

I am actually not sure whether the drive is 48tpi or 96tpi. Here are some pictures of the front of the computer:
Is it possible to tell from that?

Thank you for your help.

Best,
Grayson

JIM MITCHELL
July 15th, 2019, 01:42 PM
I wondered if anybody needed software for their Attache, and being a fairly rare machine, it's not easy to come by. These are some of the programs I have and can copy to Attache format disks.

Attache software disk with CP/M 2.2.5, WordStar 3.00, Multiplan 1.05, Charton, MBASIC-80.

Message me for a full list (still working on finishing it). $5 for each disk I make, including media and postage. If you send me your own media then it'll cost less. :)

I've got a similar box of disks for the Kaypro II…but I won't get into that yet. XD

I have a beautiful Otrona that we bought new and is still in the gray padded case. I used it about a dozen times and it is just like a new machine. I have the user manual and all the cables but the software was thrown out with my old briefcase. I would eagerly like to purchase your software for $5 per disc as follows:

Kindest Regards,
Jim Mitchell
DVDS4LESS.com®
DVD-CD-BLU-RAY-USB Duplication
Serving the USA
P. O. Box 2266 . Sparks, NV 89432
PH: (775) 323-0965
EMAIL: camrac@gmail.com