PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from the Sooner state!

Jasanna
February 27th, 2014, 11:07 PM
Hello everyone! I'm from Oklahoma and am new to vintage computers. Every since I was little kid, I have enjoyed learning about computers, different OS's and programs.:D

I currently have a partially working (won't really boot up; missing all MS-DOS 2.11 files) Cordata CS40 (IBM XT clone?) that I named "Dossy". Dossy has the original keyboard, both 360K 5.25" floppy drives, no hard drive, screen cover, and original inner parts. A family member acquired Dossy in the late 1980s/early 1990s. In addition, I have a working 486DX4 100 inside of a 433SX/D case that I named "Winny". Winny has Win95 installed on it, has a DELL monitor hooked up to it, a 3.5" floppy drive, and was acquired sometime in 1997/1998 from a used computer store.

I am currently looking to acquire boot/system disk(s) for the Cordata and am trying to figure out as to how to transfer data from the 5.25" floppies onto other but much more modern computers. Please give me holler if you have anything related to 8088 computers especially the Cordata CS40.

Been lurking for a bit and finally have decided to join.....Very happy to have found this place that's full of knowledge! Looking forward to learning about computers from the 1980s. :D

PhilipA
February 28th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Welcome.

The Cordata machine, from the Wikipedia article, is an odd looking contraption! By the sounds of it, it's got an 8088-2 in it, which makes it.. relatively powerful :)
There's a few upgrades out there that'd let you actually use it for stuff. Kinda. Don't know how many expansion slots it has inside, I'm guessing it should have a bunch if the cards are sat upright.

--Phil

luvit
February 28th, 2014, 07:15 AM
This is so fun. I have some equipment arriving over the next 7 days. Sounds like you're quite a few steps ahead of me. (: Welcome!

Rick Ethridge
February 28th, 2014, 06:34 PM
A warm welcome from directly north of you from Nebraska near the Iowa/Missouri border. I love working on and using vintage systems from Tandy and Commodore. Ask questions and we'll do our best to help!

barythrin
February 28th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the forums! :-) As I think Chuck said in the other thread, on the bright side being an IBM compatible you'll be able to find any image of MS-DOS and pretty much be ok, you don't necessarily need to worry about finding one for that specific system (although it would probably still be interesting if there are any tools that might be useful). If you have a Pentiumish system it's fairly simple to get that networked with an ISA or PCI network card and it will easily support a 5.25" 1.2MB drive which you can theoretically format disks at a lower size (best for temporary transfers though) or you could probably still get a 360K in there.

marc.hull
March 3rd, 2014, 08:00 AM
Hello everyone! I'm from Oklahoma and am new to vintage computers. Every since I was little kid, I have enjoyed learning about computers, different OS's and programs.:D

I currently have a partially working (won't really boot up; missing all MS-DOS 2.11 files) Cordata CS40 (IBM XT clone?) that I named "Dossy". Dossy has the original keyboard, both 360K 5.25" floppy drives, no hard drive, screen cover, and original inner parts. A family member acquired Dossy in the late 1980s/early 1990s. In addition, I have a working 486DX4 100 inside of a 433SX/D case that I named "Winny". Winny has Win95 installed on it, has a DELL monitor hooked up to it, a 3.5" floppy drive, and was acquired sometime in 1997/1998 from a used computer store.

I am currently looking to acquire boot/system disk(s) for the Cordata and am trying to figure out as to how to transfer data from the 5.25" floppies onto other but much more modern computers. Please give me holler if you have anything related to 8088 computers especially the Cordata CS40.

Been lurking for a bit and finally have decided to join.....Very happy to have found this place that's full of knowledge! Looking forward to learning about computers from the 1980s. :D

What part of OK are you located in ? I'm in the OKC and may be able to help.

bettablue
March 3rd, 2014, 12:35 PM
Welcome to both you and luvit.

This is indeed a pretty strange looking machine. There are planet of places on the web to download the files you need, but getting them onto 5.25" floppy will be the problem. With that in mind, if you send me a PM, I can make arrangements to help you out.

The folks here in the forums have been fantastic to me, especially in the beginning of my interest of vintage computing. I now have one of the best 5150 systems out there (at least in my own opinion) and almost all of the thanks has to go to those here who have reached out with a helping hand. Even more recently, when I had some other issues going on with my vintage computers, they were all here to help.

I hope to hear from you an luvit in my private messages. There we can go over what you need.

If I can help out, I'll feel that I'm giving back to the group. Every little bit helps.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.