PDA

View Full Version : Corona Data Systems/Cordata CS40 Boot Disks (MS-DOS 2.11)

Jasanna
February 27th, 2014, 11:13 PM
I own a CS40 from Corona Data Systems (Cordata) and don't have the boot/system disk(s) for it. Although it will boot an original disk (tutor disk that has the original command.exe) that came with it. It won't let me do anything such as copy, format or other DOS commands due in part to it having missing MS-DOS 2.11 files/directory.

- Is it possible to transfer files via a laplink serial cable that's hooked between the CS40 and other computers such as the 486DX4 100 running Win95 or a Dell Studio 4600 running WinXP? If it does, will I be able to mount/transfer files onto the floppy drive(s) in the Cordata despite it not having a hard drive?

- Will an USB or SD Card floppy disk emulator work if I replaced one of the 5.25" floppy drives? (don't really wanna shell out big bucks for something that might not work)

- Will a 360K floppy drive work in a 486 pc? Although, there's an option for it in the BIOS, I am unsure and confused as to how to hook up the FD to the 486.

- Will the 3.5" floppy drive from the 486 work in the Cordata?

- If I acquired MS-DOS 2.11 floppy disk(s) for other computers, will I be able to reinstall the OS on the Cordata?

Thanks!

Chuck(G)
February 28th, 2014, 09:15 AM
AFAICR, the CS40 was a pretty much 100% PC-compatible, so you could even load MS-DOS 6.22 onto it. Yes, you can substitute a 3.5" drive for the 5.25 360K units, but you'll be best off using DS2D 3.5" floppies (not DSHD) and declaring the drive on your other system as a 360K unit. The result should boot right up on the Cordata.

The motherboard settings should be here (http://artofhacking.com/th99/m/C-D/34218.htm).

Jasanna
March 3rd, 2014, 11:31 AM
Sweet...thanks for the link to the motherboard settings. I was wondering about that. We took out the 3.5" out of the 486 and am now just waiting for a tray enclosure for it since it doesn't have one in addition to I will be needing an external 3.5" floppy drive via USB since none of my modern PC's have a 3.5" floppy drive. Just bought a molex 3.5 to 5.25 power cable thingy. I should have it up and running here soon.

I do have another question about the Cordata. Since it has a Color/Monochrome switch in the back of it, can an external monitor be hooked up to the video port while the switch is on "color" and will it output color?

Jasanna
March 21st, 2014, 11:13 PM
Quick Update: I was able to obtain an Epson dual combo 3.5"/5.25" floppy drive and install it, after several hours of messing with the dang BIOS/jumper cable settings, into my old IBM 486 and make a MS-DOS 2.11 5.25" boot floppy. Now my Cordata CS40 boots the correct way and it retains its original floppy drives...I do have a quick question, how or where would I be able to get the MicroSolutions DOS setup/drivers for my 3.5" external parallel floppy drive?? It only came with the setup files on a cd and those are too big for my Cordata 360K drives/floppies. Thanks in advance! :)

vwestlife
March 28th, 2016, 03:00 PM
There's one of these oddities on eBay right now -- it's really just a typical Turbo XT-clone desktop computer with a monochrome monitor permanently affixed to the top of it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172146069253

http://i64.tinypic.com/34qte69.jpg