PDA

View Full Version : Windows Remote Storage Manager

NeXT
February 28th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I'm running into this really bizarre problem and I can't think of a better forum to ask than here so....
Anyways, Remote Storage Manager is a tool that is included in Windows server 2000, 2003 and I think 2008. It lets you store infrequently accessed files on tape or similar media but makes data requests and management automatic so you don't have to be constantly mounting tapes, finding and extracting your data and writing back any changes when done. It's designed to work with my IBM 3583 tape library so I can run a small RAID as my network accessible volume but I can pack something like 20Tb into it and when the RAID fills it all gets stored to the library but you can still see it on the RAID. (it just takes a minute or so to get the file)
Even though my documentation says my library is supported under 2000 and 2003 and there's even drivers specific for using RSM (instead of IBM's Tivoli manager) I can get up to a point where Windows and RSM see my LTO drives, my library and my tapes (which I can instruct RSM to label, initialize or erase) but when I actually want to set RSM up it says that only my server's internal DLT drive is available for RSM to use. It won't let me use my LTO drives even though they are fully supported. :? This has now happened on both Server 2000 and Server 2003. I can only assume that I've missed a configuration step somewhere but I have no clue what it is or where to look. Does anyone here know where my problem might be?

NeXT
February 28th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Where did the Delete Thread option go....oh well.
So right after I made the thread I stumbled across a Microsoft Tech Bulletin that noted that RSM doesn't support LTO Ultrium drives unless you patch the registry. Could they not of just put that in an update? :huh:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297475

Okay, so two months of confusion have been fixed. Nothing more to see here. :P

Stone
February 28th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Where did the Delete Thread option go....oh well.There is no delete thread -- there only is a delete post. So you have do delete them individually.